Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hlep Just Purchased Mr2 - Queries

adamshaw

Hi there. This is my first post as i have sold an MG TF and purchased a 1992 J plate MR2 T-Bar due to the rover crisis. I must say the car is real nice.

I was wondering if a few queries / points could be answered fopr me. Thanks in advance.

It is a white Jan 1992 GT T-Bar. Uk Car (Non Import)

Engine is a 3S-GE

1) What is the BHP of the engine and 0-60 times supposed to be?

2) The skirts around the bottom are black although i have seen many with body colours...is this only on imports, or an added extra. How come they are black?

3) Engine coolant level, i am unable to see the high and low points.

4) Alloy wheels need changing, is anyone selling any?

5) is there any other information i may need to know to make sure it ruins smoothly?

Many Thanks

Adam

Hi there. This is my first post as i have sold an MG TF and purchased a 1992 J plate MR2 T-Bar due to the rover crisis. I must say the car is real nice.

I was wondering if a few queries / points could be answered fopr me. Thanks in advance.

Engine is a 3S-GE

2) The skirts around the bottom are black although i have seen many with body colours...is this only on imports, or an added extra. How come they are black?

5) is there any other information i may need to know to make sure it ruins smoothly?

Many Thanks

Adam

Welcome to the club!!

158 bhp, 0-60 about 7.7 seconds (although I heard the Rev 1 & 2 cars are a tough faster cos their lighter)

Rev 1 and 2 cars had black skirts, rev 3 onwards have body coloured ones

Its difficult to see but the expansion tank is on the passenger side backwards from the air filter box.

You dont need to do that much really, just regular oil changes and servicing. It shouldn't give you any problems if it has been serviced correctly.

Engine is a 3S-GE

Many Thanks

Adam

Welcome to the club!!

158 bhp, 0-60 about 7.7 seconds (although I heard the Rev 1 & 2 cars are a tough faster cos their lighter)

Rev 1 and 2 cars had black skirts, rev 3 onwards have body coloured ones

Its difficult to see but the expansion tank is on the passenger side backwards from the air filter box.

You dont need to do that much really, just regular oil changes and servicing. It shouldn't give you any problems if it has been serviced correctly.

many thanks for the information. i was alittle worried when ipurchased the car as i saw some stats saying the engine was 119bhp. i thought it was around the 158bhp. Are them some earlier models with different engines?

2)engine coolant. i can see the long thin tank although it seems empty from taking the top off. Is this the correct place?

it is going in for a service tomorrow so hopefully the garage will sort this for me.

Many thanks for your help on the points i made and regarding the black skirts. How can i tell if it is rev 1 or rev 2. It is a jan 1992. I take it this will be NON Cat convertor?

many thanks for the information. i was alittle worried when ipurchased the car as i saw some stats saying the engine was 119bhp. i thought it was around the 158bhp. Are them some earlier models with different engines?

2)engine coolant. i can see the long thin tank although it seems empty from taking the top off. Is this the correct place?

Many thanks for your help on the points i made and regarding the black skirts. How can i tell if it is rev 1 or rev 2. It is a jan 1992. I take it this will be NON Cat convertor?

Some of the early rev 1s (and some rev2s i'm told) had the 3S-FE engine, which is the lower powered one. rev3 has 3S-GE 173BHP :)

As for rev1 / 2, you can tell (albeit roughly at the edges of the ranges) from the chassis number or from aesthetic changes (most obvious for rev1/2 i think is the 14" alloys on the rev 1, but they could have been changed up by a previous owner)

Check out the pinned topic: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11619

bear in mind some of the material relates to turbos though.

Some of the early rev 1s (and some rev2s i'm told) had the 3S-FE engine, which is the lower powered one. rev3 has 3S-GE 173BHP :)

As for rev1 / 2, you can tell (albeit roughly at the edges of the ranges) from the chassis number or from aesthetic changes (most obvious for rev1/2 i think is the 14" alloys on the rev 1, but they could have been changed up by a previous owner)

Check out the pinned topic: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11619

bear in mind some of the material relates to turbos though.

I have checked out under the engine compartment and there is a sticker which says 3S-GE. Does this mean it is the more powerful engine?? 158bhp or 173BHP?

regards

Adam

I have checked out under the engine compartment and there is a sticker which says 3S-GE. Does this mean it is the more powerful engine?? 158bhp or 173BHP?

regards

Adam

No you have the Rev2 3S-GE engine 158bhp.

The 3S-FE engine was only found in very early Rev1's otherwise known as coupe's. If you see a 3S-FE engine in a Rev1 with a spoiler or Rev2 - it's been swapped into the car.

The Rev3 upwards also had a 3S-GE engine with some differences to make it reach 173bhp. The two 3S-GE engines look physically different too...

There was also a limited edition "Beams" engine pushing out 200bhp but were only available on imported Rev5's. Likewise if you see a Beams engine in another revision, it's been swapped into the car.

There are two way to ensure your coolant levels are correct.

The first is simplest:

remove the expansion bottle cap when the engine has been run to temp and switched off for 5 minutes to let the pressure back down a bit. If the hose is wet with coolant/water - level is fine.

The second is best:

Check the levels in the dark and whilst the engine is cold. Remove the expansion bottle cap and shine a torch down the opening, you should be able to clearly see the levels. Don't drop a small torch in there though, you'll need to relace the expansion bottle and flush the system :ph34r::lol:

regards

Adam

No you have the Rev2 3S-GE engine 158bhp.

The Rev3 upwards also had a 3S-GE engine with some differences to make it reach 173bhp. There was also a limited edition 3S-GE "Beams" engine pushing out 200bhp but were only available on import.

There are two way to ensure your coolant levels are correct.

The first is simplest:

remove the expansion bottle cap when the engine has been run to temp and switched off for 5 minutes to let the pressure back down a bit. If the hose is wet with coolant/water - level is fine.

The second is best:

Check the levels in the dark and whilst the engine is cold. Remove the expansion bottle cap and shine a torch down the opening, you should be able to clearly see the levels. Don't drop a small torch in there though, you'll need to relace the expansion bottle and flush the system :ph34r::lol:

im confussed now: just checked the chassis number and it matches up to a revision 1 although it has the 3S-GE engine in it. Any other way to check the engine is defo the the 3S-GE apart from under the bonnet sticker??

Have i defo got the 3S-GE and is it a revision 1 or 2. What were the main differences between these? it also has 14" alloys indicating rev 1.

it is the T-bar edition so does that mean i have the 3S-GE with 158BHP.....

sorry adam I got carried away there, 158 m8 :rolleyes: , just got up you have to forgive me im like a zombie in the mornings, if it says 3sge then you have a 3sge, :yes: and it sounds like a late Rev1 if thats what the numbers add up to

I think the date's of the different Revision can sort of overlap due to the date the car may have been first registered, if you catch my drift :wacko:

no worries mate. i know the feeling about just getting up. To be honest i am not fussed if it is rev 1 or 2 as i am guna change the wheels anyways...

I just wanted to make sure i had the 3S-GE 158 or 173 BHP engine!!

My chasis number ends in 49256 something like that and revision 1 is up to 53456 around there. So i think i have a late revision 1.

Are these models still ok, there is no PAS although it is quite light anyway. I went for condition over revision as it had only done 57k miles.

Will i defo have the 158bhp, it is the T-Bar version. and it says this on the sticker on the underside of the bonnet.

Oh yes how on earth do you remove the T-Bar? it seems stuck and i have looked in the manual.

Oh yes do you know the 0-60 times on this? I take it has no catalitic convertor as it is a jan 92.

Also do CAT's slow the cars down as i heard they do?

no worries mate. i know the feeling about just getting up. To be honest i am not fussed if it is rev 1 or 2 as i am guna change the wheels anyways...

My chasis number ends in 49256 something like that and revision 1 is up to 53456 around there. So i think i have a late revision 1.

Are these models still ok, there is no PAS although it is quite light anyway. I went for condition over revision as it had only done 57k miles.

Will i defo have the 158bhp, it is the T-Bar version. and it says this on the sticker on the underside of the bonnet.

Oh yes how on earth do you remove the T-Bar? it seems stuck and i have looked in the manual.

You can change the brakes and suspension components for Rev2 bits if thats a concern, I havent got a T-bar roof so I cant really help you there, perhaps it had a leak and someone used silicone to seal it?? :unsure:

You can change the brakes and suspension components for Rev2 bits if thats a concern, I havent got a T-bar roof so I cant really help you there, perhaps it had a leak and someone used silicone to seal it?? :unsure:

Il just get bigger wheels i think. do you know anyone who is selling any?

Regards

Adam

If you see a 3S-FE engine in a Rev1 with a spoiler or Rev2 - it's been swapped into the car.

Or they've retrofitted a spoiler :D

You're about the 4th person to ask me if I had or knew of anyone who had wheels for sale, I'm affraid I dont, but if you have a look in the for sale section, or have a look on e-bay I'm sure you will get your self a tidy set of hoops in no time :yes:

You need to slide the little handle then turn the large one down to remove it

Instructions are on the inside of your sun visor!! ;)

Also, the engine in my avatar is the 3s-ge same as yours should have

And it will defo be 158bhp, not 173bhp :thumbsup:

The revision depends on whether it was manufactured early or late that year. Either way the engine will have 158bhp and does 0-60 in about 7.7 secs. I find it hard checking the coolant level too but I always keep an eye on the temp gauge.

How do you compare the MR2 to the MG-TF in terms of driveability, handling and performance? I once considered buying one of those MG's but thankfully didn't. Also, whereabouts in the West Midlands do you live?

You should be checking your coolant level where you top it up...

Remove the metal rad cap just next to air filter,

if you can see water there's enough in it :thumbsup:

Either way the engine will have 158bhp and does 0-60 in about 7.7 secs.

Revs 1 & 2 have figures of 7.2 seconds.

Revs 3, 4 & 5 (excluding the 200bhp Jap rev5) is 7.7 seconds to 60mph.

The revision depends on whether it was manufactured early or late that year. Either way the engine will have 158bhp and does 0-60 in about 7.7 secs. I find it hard checking the coolant level too but I always keep an eye on the temp gauge.

How do you compare the MR2 to the MG-TF in terms of driveability, handling and performance? I once considered buying one of those MG's but thankfully didn't. Also, whereabouts in the West Midlands do you live?

rev 1+2 3sge do 0-60 in 7.2, the higher powered rev 3+ does it in a slower 7.7.

and like rico said, just fill from the radiator cap until that bits full, the expansion tank will get rid of excess water when running anyway.

Any ideas what causes the poorer 0-60 in the rev3+, I believe it's due to it being heavier? What makes it heavier? :blink:

The later revisions were heavier cars with extra impact protection...

The earlier engine also provided more torque....

Me and System_G had a little 'experiment' when we both had mk2's, my rev1 and his rev 3... The Rev1 won every time :D :D :D

Any ideas what causes the poorer 0-60 in the rev3+, I believe it's due to it being heavier? What makes it heavier? :blink:

mostly safety features - side impact bars etc. On the road the difference is negligible, however apparently the rev1 and 2 NAs are more torquey low down.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links