Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Tbar

Christian_byrne

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advise - I live in Dublin and will be travelling to Birmingham this weekend to buy a 1992 MR2 Tbar. What type of things should I be checking on the car before purchasing? It's the non-turbo version, first regestered in Japan.

Thanks,

Christian.

Just the usual stuff for any car. Have a look at this thread:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34979

Same question different poster :thumbsup:

I would recommend you drive it up and down through all the gears. The boxes seem to be a weak point. I test drove mine down by the point depot, so never got it up to much speed. After I bought it I noticed grinding when dropping into 4th from 5th.... possibly worn syncro, have yet to get to the bottom of it.

Gearboxes troubles are always expensive!

What drives you so far to look at one? I thought of going to the UK cos there are more to choose from and they're cheaper, but VRT of about 1600 euro changed my mind pretty quick :yes:

First thing - open the boot, bonnet + engine bay and lok for panel damage. MR2's are commonly known for being repaired.

Then start it up, listen to the engine - take it for a drive if it feels good - no noise etc etc and your happy with it its up to you.

Make sure it hasnt been crashed, thats the main thing to look for.

Cheers :thumbsup:

What drives me so far to get one? Well, I think they are way overpriced here - I mean, I had a look at one last week - the guy selling was looking for €3500 for it (1990) and it needed a complete new paint job - have found one now, and I'm picking it up tonight in Holyhead for £2000 - 1992 black tbar 2.0ltr straight - will cost me €1021 in VRT - it's in pristine condition and only has 55000 miles on the clock - can't ask for much better than that, eh?

Thanks for your help.

cheers mate - yeah, will be picking it up at about 6am in Dublin Port tomorrow morning - my dad is heading over this afternoon to pick it up for me - didn't sleep a wink last night I was so excited - pretty sad I know, but I've wanted one of these cars since the MKII first came out in '89 - finally my dream coming true!!!

Yeah, me too! Remember seeing a Mk1 as a kid thinking it was mad cool, but the Mk2 was unbelievable. Always wanted one, but insurance was just out of the question. Heartbreaking.... :crybaby:

Decided to try again this year, and everyone said no again (25, 4yrs NCB, I mean wtf :censor: ), but put up a bit of a fight, and they eventually caved on an Irish tin-top, then an Irish T-bar (which I couldn't find), then finally caved on a jap T-bar - although a turbo was out of the question.

In fairness to them they cut me a great deal (changed from a 1.6 carina TPFT worth a grand to comprehensive on the 2 for an extra €170 6 months into the policy) Was very happy indeed :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links