Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Light On At Idle And Low Revs?

ricomr2

Any clues why this would happen?

Its the yellow one thats coming on, (says "add engine oil" in the manual)

plenty of oil in the car just been changed a few weeks ago to magnatec 10/40w.

Is this maybe to thin for engine now that its getting a little long long in the tooth?

:help:

first take a look at wiering to sensor, it can easily be bad conected, or broke, so contact can be sometimes disconeted, or big impefance...

or, magnetic really work so it collected ower the sensor and make him a ground problems

If i rev the car or drive it hard the light goes out

but as soon as the revs settle again it comes back on.

Also doesn't happen till the engine warms up...

Where is the sensor on the engine?

sensor is down near oil karterm some wires going out..

I hawe same problem, oil level is OK, it is new oil, buth sensor is a little crashed, and I put Ceramic Power Liquid tretmant that is now around sensor from inside, some of that making samo problem as yours..

If you found out something differenf please inform me allso

I will now after 2k km change to different oil ( now is Mobil1 Motosport formula 15W-50 now will go Rally 5W-50) and install Oil Cooler Kit with dry Oil Karter.

During instalation I will see what is all about

The light's not triggered at all by low oil pressure too is it??? That would certainly explain the light going out when revved etc... :wacko:

I've had this on an RS Turbo a few yrs back. Mate had the same thing on his Uno Turbo. Exactly the same thing as your describing.

Bad news is that both time it was the Oil pressure was too low and in turn both our car's big ends went (some sort of bearings, but nevertheless major engine failure)

Oil is thicker when cold so little pressure forces the oil round ( I think) once warmed up it gets too thin and more pressure is req'd to send it round. Its also why it flickers on when you on idle and it goes out when you rev it. Low oil pressure = BAD news. Get it checked asap.

If it is the oil pressure I think it may be too late but I'm not sure.

Hopefully its just a bad connection causing the oil light.

probably you have a problem with the oil pump or your cranksaft.Had the same problem with an old Audi.Get it checked ASAP.

Im 90% sure its just your oil level sensor mate. Your dipstick reading overrides anything else, if you have enough oil on the dipstick then you have enough oil. I would have thought a constant low oil pressure signal would cause the ECU to kill the engine (its very protective!).

I think the Oil Light generally refers to Oil Pressure. Otherwise there would never be a need to check the oil with the dipstick if the light is there for that.

Just because theres enough oil doesnt mean there good pressure.

Any clues why this would happen?

Its the yellow one thats coming on, (says "add engine oil" in the manual)

plenty of oil in the car just been changed a few weeks ago to magnatec 10/40w.

Is this maybe to thin for engine now that its getting a little long long in the tooth?

:help:

Have you actually checked the oil level with the dip stick? Even if you had the oil changed recently the oil level could have gone down. I'ven heard stories about some engines drinking Magnatec oil although I've got Magnatec in mine and it doesnt use any.

Just to clear one thing up - the orange/yellow light is oil level - the red light is oil pressure

I can only guess that if you have plenty of oil in your sensor must be knackered.

My red oil pressure light comes on briefly after starting up but goes off after a few seconds. I presume this is normal?

The only thing missing on MR2's is an oil level gauge, my GTI had one and it was very handy, although at times it did give a false reading and I had to check it manually, lol.

Cheers for the help and making me worry guys!!

Its defo got plenty of oil, as the magnatec only comes in 4.5 litre cans so had to top it up last week to get it to just under 5 litres.

Dip stick is showing just over the max mark when the oil is warm so i'll check the sensor.

Can anyone confirm where it is?

Dont think its oil pressure but i'll have it checked asap.

the light flashing on for a few seconds at startup is fine dawolf, it takes a moment for the oil pump to gain pressure.

Heres a picture which shows the sensor, its the plug thats just underneath the crank pulley wheel.

a3sgte8.jpg

Cool, i'll have a look tomorrow and see if i can clean it up a bit.

I take it i can unplug it without losing all the oil?

The oil level sensor in mine is the same, had to bridge the connector with a bit of wire to stop the light coming on. The dipstick will tell your if you've got enough oil and the oil pressure switch will warn you if the engines in danger

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links