Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

British Vs. American Verbology

scionic

Do americans have roundabouts?

Yep, in some places.

We call them "traffic circles"

The Magic Traffic Circle .. Tee He .. :lol:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scionic

• Bibbs

• SMW

• silvasurfa

Top Posters In This Topic

and what's the american equivalent of "dogging"?  ;)

taking a drive with your gal to inspiration point?!! :lol:

Car in a lay by . . .

Oh.... THOSE.

Yeah, we don't have those, per se.

We just have a continual "lay by" along any well travelled road. Just call it the shoulder and it's almost always paved. You can pull over any time you need to.

Oh OK.. petting then?

We call it 'macking' but there are a thousand other terms for it.

Tee Hee .. Bee posted before .. but I don't care :D

To the citizens of the United States of America, In the light of your failure to elect a worthwhile President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves properly, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy. Your new prime minister (The rt. hon. Tony Blair, MP for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. ( Look up "vocabulary"). Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication (look up "interspersed" ) .

2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.

3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard.

4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys.

5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.

6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US rugby sevens side by 2008.

7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 97.85% of you who were not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys. "Merde" is French for "sh*t".

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecisive Day".

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are rubbish and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

10. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your cooperation. (look up "Cooperation")

Oh OK.. petting then?

We call it 'macking' but there are a thousand other terms for it.

That's not quite "dogging" though .. and it's not the sort of thing to discuss on a FAMILY forum :)

Do americans have roundabouts?

Yep, in some places.

We call them "traffic circles"

They get called "circles" in Dundee for some reason! lol

Nice pic of a layby SMW! lol , shows the "quality" of British roads!

:lol:

Oh, stop with the Ahl-oo-min-ee-um already, would you?

No word needs that many syllables.

And why must there be uneccessary "U's" in every word?

Colour? Are you serious? :lol:

You may as well start adding back the silent "E's" as well, as in ye olde shoppe.

Oh, stop with the Ahl-oo-min-ee-um already, would you?

No word needs that many syllables.

And why must there be uneccessary "U's" in every word?

Colour?  Are you serious?  :lol:

You may as well start adding back the silent "E's" as well, as in ye olde shoppe.

Just like you guys adding Z's into everything .. It's not "Analyze" .. it's "Analyse" :P

Without getting into too much detail . . I'm not sure an American term will exist for dogging.

It basically invloves a degree of co operation between persons inside the car being intimate and persons outside of the car watching the events inside the car.

If the yanks have the word 'Voyeur' then that probably covers it.

BTW - is 'yanks' offensive (don't mean to be). :thumbsup:

Just like you guys adding Z's into everything .. It's not "Analyze" .. it's "Analyse" :P

Ah. But how do you pronounce those words?

We added the 'zed' because that's how it's said. (hey that rhymes. Sweet!)

Without getting into too much detail . . I'm not sure an American term will exist for dogging.

It basically invloves a degree of co operation between persons inside the car being intimate and persons outside of the car watching the events inside the car.

BTW - is 'yanks' offensive (don't mean to be).  :thumbsup:

I don't think "Yanks" is offensive on the surface, it just seems you all use it only when you're "brassed off" so it seems offensive in context.

It doesn't bother me, as I'm from the northeast U.S. but a southerner might take it as an insult.

That's not quite "dogging" though .. and it's not the sort of thing to discuss on a FAMILY forum :)

exactly what i thought mate, and thats why i tried to give it a happy days feel!!! :D

could this topic over take word association . . it could go on for ages . anyway -

nappies - dipers (sp)

rubbish - garbage / trash

also what about napkins - I think they are called helpies (or did I dream that).

Wha? :lol:

No, we don't have a term for anything that specific. I'm not sure we even have that pastime. You guys are freaks. Hahahaa!

We have the term voyeur, but the average American probably doesn't know the word and nearly nobody uses it.

Most of us would probably just say 'peeping Tom' which I have a sneaking suspicion probably comes from you lot.

popsicle...

Huh? :lol:

You need at least two words to play the game, mate.

We have popsicles here, if that's what you're asking.

could this topic over take word association . . it could go on for ages . anyway -

nappies - dipers (sp)

rubbish - garbage / trash

also what about napkins - I think they are called helpies (or did I dream that).

Yep, those are both 'spot on'

We have napkins. What you use to wipe your mouth whilst eating, right?

Never heard of helpies, but maybe you've got an idea for a new product there!

mate! think i had the same bizzarre dream!!!

are they possibly baby wipes or the kfc wet wipe things? :)

Ok I have a question - when I was a young lass I used to read the Sweet Valley High books and obviously its all set in California...

They talk about "catsup" in those books a lot - as in they are at a diner, ordering a hamburger and smothering it in "catsup" - now I always assumed "catsup" was ketchup but in other literature and movies from the States ketchup is ketchup and not catsup....

So what exactly is "catsup"?

Exhaust Silencer..................Muffler

Adjustable spanner..............Wrench

Lav'-Bog-Loo-------------- Can-Head-Latrine

Head----------------------- *** ***

Oi!! ------------------------ Excuse me?

Paper money-------------- Bill folds

Lezbo---------------------- Dyke

Puff------------------------- Homosexual

Snot-bogie----------------- Booger

Diddycoy-Pikey-Gypo--------------- ???

Ok I have a question - when I was a young lass I used to read the Sweet Valley High books and obviously its all set in California...

They talk about "catsup" in those books a lot - as in they are at a diner, ordering a hamburger and smothering it in "catsup" - now I always assumed "catsup" was ketchup but in other literature and movies from the States ketchup is ketchup and not catsup....

So what exactly is "catsup"?

Catsup = ketchup

It's just a different, but much less popular way of spelling ketchup.

And if your REALLY interested in the subject:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ket2.htm

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links