Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator

jim01

can anyone help me i have just put a recon alternator in my mr2 and when i turn the key there is no Battery lights coming up on the dash ,can someone tell me why please.

Check your Battery. Is it dead?

Even if the alrenator is dead, the dash should light up.

Check your battery. Is it dead?

the Battery is reading 11v

yes the other lights are coming on apart from the Battery light and the one beside it i dont know what this light is ?

Actually, make sure you check all the cables (3 i think) from the alternator for breaks, one of them lights the warning lamp as far as I know

Actually, make sure you check all the cables (3 i think) from the alternator for breaks, one of them lights the warning lamp as far as I know

cheers will go and try what you said

cheers will go and try what you said

just checked the cables they are fine , the Battery reads 11.5v and now when i try and turn it over it just makes a clicking sound could it be my car alarm :help:

just checked the cables they are fine , the Battery reads 11.5v and now when i try and turn it over it just makes a clicking sound could it be my car alarm :help:

I've had that clicking noise before on mine when trying to start. I couldn't start the engine but it would turn over on the Battery for ages, then start. All I did was repalce the Battery and she started first time. No problems since.

That clicking is probably just low Battery. Try jump starting it. If it goes, I'd say your alternator's not charging the Battery, or there's a short, and your Battery warning bulb is blown.

Could be a dodgy recond unit. although if you haven't driven the car after fitting the alternator, the battery should still have had some charge in it, unless there's a short somewhere.

Also check your battery's electrolyte level

Check your battery. Is it dead?

the Battery is reading 11v

11 volts is too low, you Battery is probably flat or knackered. You should get a reading of over 12v

That clicking is probably just low battery. Try jump starting it. If it goes, I'd say your alternator's not charging the battery, or there's a short, and your battery warning bulb is blown.

Could be a dodgy recond unit. although if you haven't driven the car after fitting the alternator, the battery should still have had some charge in it, unless there's a short somewhere.

Also check your battery's electrolyte level

given up, just had the car picked up and taken to a garage but cheers for your help .

Doh! Let us know how you get on. Could be useful to know.

Best of luck with it  :thumbsup:

guy said should have it back for monday or tuesday hopefully .what ever it is i hope it isnt going to cost me too much ,i will tell you what was up with it .

got the car back from the garage and they say its the alternator that i have just had recon that the problem :censor: so i took the alternator off the car and gave it back to the guy who reconed it , he gave me it back today and it still will not work :angry: .i phoned him and said it wasnt working and he said he tested it and it was puting out 14v . but i am still not gettting any Battery lights up on the dash and theres nothing going to the Battery .could it be the regulator ? and if so where can i buy one

Is your Battery still reading 11v when the car is off? If so I dont think that will be enough power to start the car.

Have you tried to jump start it as iblis suggested? Once running the PD across the Battery should be at least +14 (that would indicate that the alternator is working and charging the battery).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links