Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing The Timing Belt...

Jimlad

Ok... My gearbox will hopefully be getting thrown out for a new one next month, but at the same time I thought I might as well get the timing belt changed as the car is currently at 57K miles.

I know someone who is gonna do the gearbox job for me, but he asked if any special tools are needed for the timing belt.

Anyone know??

A vice. To push the timing belt tensioner rod back into the hole, and a really small metal rod or allen key to go into the reset hole to hold the tensioner rod inside while you do the belt. Oh, and a small pair of hands.

a.............very small pair of hands, and 3 wrists, and 6 elbows

For about £30, I'd definitely recommend getting a new tensioner from Mr.T.

You may well remember that when I had mine changed, the belt felt the right tension, but my mate had a bad feeling about it and said leave it overnight.

Had a look the next morning and the tension had really diminished. The tensioner had leaked hydraulic fluid, and was no longer up to the job.

New tensioner, another night to leave it... worked a treat.

You only do it once every 40-60k miles, so £30 is neither here nor there for peace of mind.

If you don't replace the tensioner, just be very careful when compressing the tensioner. This is when mine got damaged, even using my other mate's F1 company's 1 tonne arbour press at the rate that's recommended...

Up to you entirely mate... but I don't think a garage would have left the car overnight to have checked... and would have let me drive off like it... not knowing it was going to slip/skip seriously at any time.

Don't mean to put the frighteners up you bud... just trying to offer advice from experience... :thumbsup: :)

cheers for the advice mate... I'll get Rico to speak to his mechanic freind (the guy who is doing the work for me) and see what he thinks about the tensioner.

Like you said for £30 it's worth the peice of mind.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links