Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Not Impressed

jaxx

recently spent the last sunday changing my rear brake discs and pads as one had given up on life and started to eat into the disc.

what made me wonder was why the pads were heavily worn unequally? the outer pad was only 50% worn while the other was on the metal? and the opposite wheel still had plenty of life in its self

so upon stripping out the caliper if found the retaining springs to be missing :ffs: :o (the little v-shape wires that stop the pads dragging on the disc when not in use)

a bit miffed a carried on and had to install the new parts without them, in a case to get some more asap

coming to the otherside (as i didnt want new brakes one side and not the other) anti squeal shims are missing from one pad :ffs: :ffs: :censor:

so they went on the shopping list!

now thouroughly wound up, i checked on the cars history as the chap before me has looked after it well, a reciept and invoice for fitting new pads front and rear is found. and to my horror.....

toyota main dealer.... :censor: :angry:

i wont put it direct but i bought my car from the derby area aswell!

and im now 22quid lighter for two small bits of wire and a couple bits of shim steel!

:wacko:

Im thinking the reason why your pads have only worn 50% on the outer is that your slides may not be a free as they could be.

could be worth a check but you will normily find that on most cars wear the pad closest to the piston quicker.

It's stories like this that make me happy that one of my mates owns a garage.

My mum had a similar story with a renalt she used to own, when she put it in for a service the official renault garage didn't even change the oil !!!!!!!

my motto would be to do it yourself. That way you won't have a plank servicing your car (unless you are one :D)

get yourself a decent set of tools and provided you can read and know how to use a screwdriver i think most jobs are within the scope of most people

Im thinking the reason why your pads have only worn 50% on the outer is that your slides may not be a free as they could be.

could be worth a check but you will normily find that on most cars wear the pad closest to the piston quicker.

agreed....

but not on the scale that these have worn!

do you mean the slides on the edges of the pads?

Name and Shame

Amen..

Like you said, for the sakes of couple of quid, you'd probably have healthy discs. Saying that, maybe the fitter/mechanic/apprentice didn't even know they were supposed to be on there.. :!Removed!:

the caliper is fixed onto slides jaxx , as the piston pushes the caliper slides along pulling the other pad into play mate , you should have 2 rubber bungs on the caliper inside is round bar that the caliper slides on , these should be cleaned and greased now and again.

the caliper is fixed onto slides jaxx , as the piston pushes the caliper slides along pulling the other pad into play mate , you should have 2 rubber bungs on the caliper inside is round bar that the caliper slides on , these should be cleaned and greased now and again.

Spot on, saved me having to write it :thumbsup:

ahh gotcha, got a little mixed up on that then :lol:

i did actually do that to be honest being as i had the whole assembly off, theres plenty of free movement in them, in fact they wernt bad in the first place, but may aswell have got it done as i was there

:thumbsup:

agreed....

but not on the scale that these have worn!

do you mean the slides on the edges of the pads?

I know what you mean but as Maleborn has discribed the slides should be cleaned and greased every other sevice really as they can get brake dust in the which clogs up the grease and prevents them from operating correctly causing abnormaly wear.

Hope this helps you mate :thumbsup:

yup yup

got them out gave them a good clean and wedged a nice lump of fresh grease in, satisfying if not a little messy!

first time ive worked with slide calipers and rather impressed with myself :lol:

I had exactly the same thing with my original rear pads on the yaris. The springs were there - but one of them was hardly attached ...

When my local garage went to replace the pads with ebc greenstuff ones the spring just fell into two peices. Phoned main dealer who denied everything, wrote to head office - not even a reply.

Think that the springs were 6 quid or similar!

yup yup

got them out gave them a good clean and wedged a nice lump of fresh grease in, satisfying if not a little messy!

first time ive worked with slide calipers and rather impressed with myself :lol:

I aways work on your own vehicle if you can and feel competent enough to do it as you know what you have done and it feels rather good when you know you have done it :thumbsup:

my motto would be to do it yourself. That way you won't have a plank servicing your car (unless you are one :D)

get yourself a decent set of tools and provided you can read and know how to use a screwdriver i think most jobs are within the scope of most people

thats my view then if i cant do it then i get help (usually try on here first)

and also because you save a fortune DIY

thats my view then if i cant do it then i get help (usually try on here first)

and also because you save a fortune DIY

When i DIY, even with a mate, you get that feeling of you have accomplished something and you feel you have learnt alot!

Just need the confidence is all!!

otherday my headunit conked out, and it stopped sliding out, so i thought hmmm, took it apart and after some fiddling found this !Removed! washer stick in the mechanism, put it all back together and hey presto it worked.

Iv also put my sub and amp in today and im rather chuffed :D :D

yup yup

Carefull with copious amounts of grease on brakes, even copper grease.

If you strip a brand new car down you will find very little if any on most of the moving parts, usually none on the two guide rods for the calliper, (the dust/grease build up can cause uneven pad wear) this isn't a built in obsolesence, it's like what was said earlier, "brake dust and grease don't mix", plus the fact, even copper grease will melt, so if their is an excess it will run onto the braking surfaces (not a good idea)

Another thing, regarding anti-squeal shims, nine times out of ten they either rot-corrode-dissolve away. I've never had a problem lightly coating the brake pad (the steel part :rolleyes: ) with copper grease :thumbsup:

les valid points

copper grease and brake dust = cutting compound!

i know not to use an excessive mount and i did actually put a slither of copperslip on the squeal shims, that were there! thanks to my old man for that tip aswell (great minds think alike eh!)

its done, i did it myself, makes me feel proud of myself :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links