Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uk Annual Leave Law

KiwiMR2

Have a family memeber over in London, she is JUST about to sign one of 2 job offers and needs to know what the law is regarding taking annual leave BEFORE a full year.

Can it be taken under normal law??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Don't know what the law says about it, but if she gives the HR dept of the companies a call I'm pretty sure they'd be able to give her the facts.

Personally though, I think her chances are pretty slim.

As far as my firm Menzies Distribution. is concerned. Annual leave is accrued on a pro rata basis up to the first full year of employment..

Example -. 1 Years A/L = 24 days. Therefore you would get 2 days for every month worked upto the 1st full year. e.g 2 months worked. 4 days A/L accrued.

But i dont know if this is common practice. :unsure:

I beleive that a company has to honour any holidays already booked but dont have to pay them all. They only have to pay @ 2 days per full month worked, but dont quote me on this! :wacko:

My place was fine .. I get about 25 days a year .. but first year I started in month 9, so I got about 6/7 days holiday for the first year ..

Yeah it all depends where in their "year" you start and then they normally pro-rata it.....

Although dont most companies do their holiday year from Jan 1st - December 31st?

I get 30 days each year (starting from 1st May each year) plus all bank holidays :)

If they have any holidays pre-booked, they MUST under law honour those holidays. Also, if they want to take annual leave, then im pretty sure they need to give proof to new employer of any previous holiday taken, if none has been taken, they should get full holiday's... so long as it's not too near end of the year, maybe 2 days per month into the holiday year.

If they have taken previous holiday, then that is deducted from the new amount. Either way, they are entitled to a minimum of 4 weeks paid holiday each year. That's the law! This excludes bank holidays which should always be free holidays.

Im pretty sure this is how it goes, but id ring and check with the HR departments first just to be sure!

:thumbsup:

The legal minimum companies can give employees is 20 days per annum (pro-rata). Legaly, they can include bank holidays into this count or as mentioned above not pay the employee for not working bank holidays.

Most UK companies will, out of kindness, not include bank holidays into the annual leave count and still pay the employee for the days not worked.

Also as mentioned above. Holiday is accrued from day one of starting work for the company and depending on when the company holiday year begins and ends (whether it's Jan - Dec or if it works with their financial year) depends on how many days she will be entitled to for the remaining part of this year.

If they have any holidays pre-booked, they MUST under law honour those holidays. Also, if they want to take annual leave, then im pretty sure they need to give proof to new employer of any previous holiday taken, if none has been taken, they should get full holiday's... so long as it's not too near end of the year, maybe 2 days per month into the holiday year.

If they have taken previous holiday, then that is deducted from the new amount. Either way, they are entitled to a minimum of 4 weeks paid holiday each year. That's the law! This excludes bank holidays which should always be free holidays.

Im pretty sure this is how it goes, but id ring and check with the HR departments first just to be sure!

:thumbsup:

Seveer

Where did you get this information - :wacko:

bare in mind that it does depend on when the companies holidays run from:

if you join now and if its 1st april - 31st March then you will acquire more holidays than if it runs from 1st Jan to 31st Dec as you will be acquiring more work time in the holiday year.

the waythe last company i worked for did it was. you got 38 days a year plus all bank holidays and 2 weeks at christmas. hmm nowonder we never got any work done. if you started halfway through the year then you got half the ammount of holiday (19) days three you quaters of the way through the year and you get 10 days. you could take the holiday as and when you wanted with reasonable notice.

looking at it now ehy did i leave that job? :blink:

Well i'm no expert because i work in education and i get 13 weeks off a year :lol::lol::lol: , but i do know that they have to honour any prior bookings at the time of employment, and they can't use that as a basis to refuse you a job.

As for the amount of leave you are entitled to, most organisations allocate this on a pro rata basis as mentioned, this is common practice with most companies! Therefore you will probably not be entitled to a full year's leave!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

the waythe last company i worked for did it was. you got 38 days a year plus all bank holidays and 2 weeks at christmas. hmm nowonder we never got any work done.  if you started halfway through the year then you got half the ammount of holiday (19) days three you quaters of the way through the year and you get 10 days. you could take the holiday as and when you wanted with reasonable notice.

looking at it now ehy did i leave that job?  :blink:

Coz you're an idiot :)

Seveer

Where did you get this information -  :wacko:

From Makro's HR woman when i started.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links