Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux - Oil On Front Tyre!

LongRat

I have a 1988 Mk2 hilux 4x4, and there is quite a bit of oil sprayed around the front left wheel arch which has clearly been flung off the inside wall of the tyre. At first I thought this might be brake fluid, but I have had a good look and it is not that. It seems to be coming off the ball of the axle itself. I'm thinking the axle has a seal to stop the oil coming out, maybe this needs replacing. I am quite new to this and I thought the diff oil would be sealed in around the diff only, but does it go all the way down the axle tube too?

Anyone got any experience with this problem, who can point me in the right direction? Can I buy one of the seal kits here: http://www.milneroffroad.com/trans.htm to sort it out?

FYI I have not been running it in 4x4 and the hubs are freewheeling, so the axle will not have been rotating.

Thanks!

Hi mate and bad luck on the oil seal and hope you get it sorted.

As for your question on does the diff oil run down the tubes tha answers is yes the oil run down the half shafts and there is a oil seal at the end which from what you are discribeing has started to leak.

Ive never done one on a Lux but have on other vehicles and it is not a too bad job can be a bit messy.

HTH

Thanks Steve.

Anyone got any info on the seal set(s) from Milner? Also I expect the oil will all be drained out when I change the seal, what type of oil am I looking at to replace this, and what sort of amount is needed to refill?

http://www.milneroffroad.com/trans.htm if your vehicle is listed then you have your place for your seals :bookworm:

Most diffs and axles use EP80 or EP90 oil the easy way to tell is if it smells like sulpher then its EP80 or 90 if its red it probably auto trans fluid but this stuff in a axle very unlikely 99% sure it will be the EP80 or EP90

Hope this helps you mate :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links