Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any One Seen A Mk2 With 18's

sewelly

Just been thinking what mod's im looking to purchase in the future. I have 17's at the moment and want to go bigger so just wondering if 18's will cause any problems. If you have any pictures of examples that would awesome.

cheers :bookworm:

I will go 18's one day. Not the best for handling etc. Supposedly 16's are a balance of handling/looks. 17's not so good... 18's worse.

17's are what I'm going for but they still look lost in a body kit.. Jim knows.

veilside_mr2 has 18' chromes on his. :D

I was gonna go 18... he told me too. lol, but decided with 17s.

wish i had in a way... but in time i guess. :)

Having 18's on ours as soon as we finish putting the kit on. :!Removed!:

just make sure you get the right size tyres to fit under the front shocks :ph34r:

I'm about to fit my new rims... 17 x 7J front and 18 x 8J rear.

The 18's on the rear still come in lighter than my existing 17 x 8J rears... so a reduction in the unsprung weight... which is good in my case.

If you want it for outright performance, stick with the stock rims.

If you go 17's... you might as well go 18's!!! You've already affected the performance and handling anyway.

Keep a smaller set for track days.

I've got a set of lightweight 16" Volks Racing for mine in the garage...

At a guess i'd say its because the rolling radius is bigger?

They also knock the speedo out but there not exactly accurate anyway :rolleyes:

18"s are heavier and have lower profile tyres ..

My car with 18" all round ..

gallery_5600_18_1115514931.jpg

gallery_5600_18_1114963700.jpg

and one of mission control ..

gallery_5600_18_1114963550.jpg

:lol: :D

Ben Bibbings... a lone crusader... of Knight2000...

why does 18's mess up handling?

18's are mainly thought to mess up handling due to their increased weight.

If your 18" rim is the same width as your 17" rim... and the wheel/tyre combination offer the same diameter (and hence circumference)... and the 18" weighs no heavier... it won't necessarily affect handling any more than the 17".

But... you do also have to take into consideration the tyre wall. A 35 profile on an 18" rim is going to demand much more work of the shock absorber than a 50 profile on a 15" rim.

The stock 15" rims are pretty lightweight, and therefore a much reduced unsprung weight, which results in quicker turn in capability and less work for the shocks to do due to inertia and momentum.

Acceleration will be affected, even if the weight of the 18" is miraculously the same as the 15"... and they both have the same diameter. This is because the weight is further away from the centre of the wheel. Imagine holding a 15kg dumbell close to the body and doing a bicep curl (15" wheel example). Now move the weight further away from the body and try a bicep curl (18" wheel example). The weight distribution changes, and therefore requires more energy (power/torque) to get the wheel rolling. Now... when the wheel is rolling momentum comes into play and can work on your side (not much though!)... until it comes to braking, which again requires more energy and therefore increases your braking distance slightly.

Your speedo and consequently your odometer will not be affected going with a large diameter wheel as long as you keep the same overall diameter.

True track day hero's will be running the stock 15's or lightweight 16's for outright performance.

You can afford to go with 17's and 18's if you've got the power to compensate as far as acceleration is concerned... but then... if you've got that extra power, imagine how much quicker your car would be with stock rims again...

You have to bare in mind what the car was designed to be running with in the first place. Just because most Skylines you see will be running 18's, it doesn't mean we can with the same affect. They were designed to run on larger wheels (R33 and R34).

my old mr2 with 18's looked just fine, handling wasnt too bad either. but if you want looks, then 18's are best :)

2.jpg

my old mr2 with 18's looked just fine, handling wasnt too bad either. but if you want looks, then 18's are best :)

2.jpg

I do love that pic... :thumbsup:

looks well nice Shaf. what wheels are they and is it 17's on the front and 18's on the back or is it just my eyes after one to many stella's last night?? :eek:

cheers jesus.... that pic makes me crave for a red mr2 again soooo much :(

sewelly wheels are 18's all round.... although the fronts do look like 17's in that pic :)

Love that red MR2, what kit is on it? 18's do look that bit better than 17's.

I'm running 17" on the front and 18" on the rear and it handles like a go kart - better than when i had the standard 15"..... that maybe down to the teins and the cusco roll bars, who knows......

shark.jpg

Matt, off topic abit (SORRY)

Have you got any wheels instock that are wide to fill out a trd kit?? Looking for

17's

Paul.

:lol: :D

Ben Bibbings... a lone crusader... of Knight2000...

welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen, we will be getting underway shortly, and once up to cruising altitude we will update you on our progress...

welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen, we will be getting underway shortly, and once up to cruising altitude we will update you on our progress...

Under your seat you wiull find an Xbox, in the glovebox a PS2 ..

Snacks will be provided after takeoff ..

Under your seat you wiull find an Xbox, in the glovebox a PS2 ..

Snacks will be provided after takeoff ..

Such nice service from the stewardess .. :lol:

Matt, off topic abit (SORRY)

Have you got any wheels instock that are wide to fill out a trd kit?? Looking for

17's

Paul.

i've got some 17's that i could be tempted to part with ;) ;)

I've recently gone from 15 to 18.

To back up whats already be said, the car feels like it accelerates slower, feels light at high speeds (120mph+) and lacks the feel and sharpness of the stock rims.

Only bought them because they were dirt cheap and offered a styling alternative to popping a kit on the car because somehow Turquoise looks poo with body add-ons. :crybaby:

Luckily I have a set of mint rev4 diamond cut rims with brand new Toyo T1-R's to use when I want to really enjoy driving :P

caliper5.jpg

caliper4.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links