Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pc Help

houston

i had a few pics and vids that i had 'hidden' on 2nd hard drive, but when i reinstalled windows i didnt unlock them and now i cant access them, theyre there, not hidden but the filenames are in green lettering and i cant open them, i need them back as well cos theyre holiday stuff and cant be replaced, help???

Is the 2nd hard drive "slaved" to the other? Its just I had the same problem when I put in a new HDD..I had to slave the old one onto the new one

its all set up ok, its just this foler that i cant open.

:D at u lot

but i need help! she wants the pics printed off and Shell kill me when she finds out what ive done!

Need info...

What OS you using?

How are they locked in the first place, hidden and locked are very different things.

What's actually happening when you try to access the files / folder (error messages, etc)?

Even if you reinstall windows with the same netbios name, and create the same username as the pics are locked under, and even use the same password you will not get them back that way... as the new user will be a different SID.

Short for security identifier, a security feature of the Windows NT and 2000 operating systems. The SID is a unique name (alphanumeric character string) that is used to identify an object, such as a user or a group of users in a network of NT/2000 systems.

Windows grants or denies access and privileges to resources based on ACLs, which use SIDs to uniquely identify users and their group memberships. When a user requests access to a resource, the user’s SID is checked by the ACL to determine if that user is allowed to perform that action or if that user is part of a group that is allowed to perform that action.

www.webopedia.com

I'll have a look into it, but will be interested if any one else comes up with a solution.

Good luck mate. :thumbsup:

Even if you reinstall windows with the same netbios name, and create the same username as the pics are locked under, and even use the same password you will not get them back that way... as the new user will be a different SID.

I'm sure theres a way that you can 'take ownership' of files that used to belong to a user, the only condition is that you have to have admin rights. Can't remember exactly how to do it, but I'm sure if you check the files' properties or security settings you'd stumble across it.

OR

If it will let you copy the files onto a CD of flash drive, the security settings should be disregarded. Then you can read them from the CD. But I doupt it will let you do this.

Yeah...

The first thing you need to do is turn off "simple file sharing". This will enable the security tab on all Windows objects so that you can change the security. To turn off simple file sharing, open My Computer (or any other folder really), go to the Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, scroll to the bottom of the list of options and deselect "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)". Click OK.

try this...

.: Clicky :.

or this...

or this for same problem discussed...

they were hidden files, not locked, they were under the admin user as i didnt and dont have seperate accounts on my pc. the files are there but when i open them it just says the files cannot be accessed. im in the middle of tyin those links, thanks, could save my back side from a kicking!

:rolleyes:  <_< Thats gonna help him isnt it :angry:

:ph34r:

Scionic - this is a discussion forum.

where we discuss things (dictionary entry for discussion)

you may want to google for "useless **** smiley forum" - and just spam smileys in there?

Or - you could just not post if you have nothing useful to contribute :thumbsup:

no luck, it still wont open. jus wont load, no error messages. only thing i can see is that the filenames are in green lettering! im on xp pro if it helps

dunno norm might know, i'll ask him

as for scionic.................................. :ban:

theres an ignore button if you feel the need :lol::lol:

Have to give up, sorry.

Last thing I can say for you to try is find a Windows help forum or something and ask them.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Just an idea can you put the old HDD back in and reinstall again? then itll allow you to open them?

Can you right click the files and get the properties up?

I thought files shown as green in explorer were encrypted?

if so - and you've re-installed windows, you may want to sit down. :(

when you encrpyt a file using XP, it uses your personal security certificate to encrpyt it.

if you change user, or re-install windows etc -then the file will be locked, and unrecoverable.

This is not a bug or a flaw - you have deliberately setup the file so that only the original user who encrypted the file may subsequently decrpyt it

:(

I thought files shown as green in explorer were encrypted?

if so - and you've re-installed windows, you may want to sit down.  :(

when you encrpyt a file using XP, it uses your personal security certificate to encrpyt it.

if you change user, or re-install windows etc  -then the file will be locked, and unrecoverable.

This is not a bug or a flaw - you have deliberately setup the file so that only the original user who encrypted the file may subsequently decrpyt it

:(

thought that would end up being the case, was just checking to see if theres owt ive missed. im in the dog house now then! <_<

cheers for the help though, a lot of clever people on here.

i had a similar problem

had to put in a new drive and vreate a new user, my old files were encrypted under my old user name

how i did it was...

shut down and go into safe mode

right click the folder or files you want

hit properties

go to sharing

youll see a list of users and more than likely a user thats no recognised (thats your old login)

switch the ownership to the new login

should work?

:BIG FAT EDIT:

the links that Jesus put up is the same help sheet i used, the one on swapping the ownership

:thumbsup:

the link is for settin up locked files for different users, cant unlock locked files without original admin.

i thought they were just hidden files but they must have been locked to admin aswell, shes found out now and isnt as bothered as i thought shed be, just wants to go back on holiday to take more pics now!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links