Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pinking?

Richard K

Hi Peeps,

I'd like to know what/how much damage is caused by 'pinking'.

I think it's the lack of a cold air feed to my cone filter.

I might re-fit OE airbox & replace with fensport Ramair replacement filter instead.

any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Rich K :thumbsup:

eventually 'pinking' could blow/ burn a hole in your piston/pistons ... but to do this it would have to pink all the time and do it for over 12,000 miles/all year continuosly

or you just need one big bad pre-det and the engine expires :(

it makes the noise which I've been told is pinking just as you open throttle, it stops and then it's drowned out by induction noise from filter.

I've never noticed this problem with the engine before I fitted the cone filter.

Is the cone filter (with minimal cold air feed) the most likely cause of this problem? Hot air + Optimax?

For now I'll put the old box back on for a week or two and see if the problem continues.

Any clues to the main causes would be good aswell,

thanks for the prompt reply.

Rich K

it makes the noise which I've been told is pinking just as you open throttle, it stops and then it's drowned out by induction noise from filter.

I've never noticed this problem with the engine before I fitted the cone filter.

Is the cone filter (with minimal cold air feed) the most likely cause of this problem? Hot air + Optimax?

For now I'll put the old box back on for a week or two and see if the problem continues.

Any clues to the main causes would be good aswell,

thanks for the prompt reply.

Rich K

Hi Rich,

What's probably happening is that the cone is allowing more air in but your ECU is still telling the injectors to supply the same amount of fuel which will give you a weaker mixture that's more prone to pinking. Plus the heat of the air is not helping either. Since fitting the cone have you reset the ECU? Remove the EFI fuse from the fuse box under the bonnet and leave it out for a minimum of 30 seconds. Replace it and then drive normally - this will allow the ECU to re-learn how you drive. I've read somewhere (can't find it at the moment) that it can take many engine starts for the ECU to re-learn, so be patient. If this does not solve the problem (it's got to be worth a try as it will cost nothing) then replace the stock airbox and go from there.

John

Thanks john I'll try that.

ae111sr Posted Today, 12:56 PM

What's probably happening is that the cone is allowing more air in but your ECU is still telling the injectors to supply the same amount of fuel which will give you a weaker mixture that's more prone to pinking. Plus the heat of the air is not helping either. Since fitting the cone have you reset the ECU? Remove the EFI fuse from the fuse box under the bonnet and leave it out for a minimum of 30 seconds. Replace it and then drive normally - this will allow the ECU to re-learn how you drive. I've read somewhere (can't find it at the moment) that it can take many engine starts for the ECU to re-learn, so be patient. 

Now that is useful information.

When you say many engine starts do you mean it will take many attempts to 'fire up'?

Reason i'm asking is because this will all be of use for friends and I in the possible future.

Does the corolla not have a MAF sensor or pressure combined with Temperature sensor? - if it does check these. On many toyotas the ambient air temp sensor is in the air filter box.

Nearly all fuel injection systems have this as they have to maintain a stoichiometric air fuel ratio (stoichiometric = just amount of air and fuel to burn completely). stoichiometry is based on mass not volume of air, so on a hot day the fuel injection system sprays less fuel through the injectors as the air is less dense.

stoichiometry for a petrol car is 15.7 if i remember correctly. so for every 15.7g of air, you need 1g of air.

I would say that its unlikely that your cone air filter is causing the problem but more likely its one of the sensors that is causing excessive fuel to be sprayed into the system.

The results of pinking are not good, the shape of the pistons causes the shock waves (which can be supersonic) to screw up the valves, put crevices in the side of the cylinders and generally screw your engine. It is dependent on the severity of the pinking though.

good luck :thumbsup:

would having the timing checked help? :unsure:

ae111sr Posted Today, 12:56 PM

What's probably happening is that the cone is allowing more air in but your ECU is still telling the injectors to supply the same amount of fuel which will give you a weaker mixture that's more prone to pinking. Plus the heat of the air is not helping either. Since fitting the cone have you reset the ECU? Remove the EFI fuse from the fuse box under the bonnet and leave it out for a minimum of 30 seconds. Replace it and then drive normally - this will allow the ECU to re-learn how you drive. I've read somewhere (can't find it at the moment) that it can take many engine starts for the ECU to re-learn, so be patient. 

Now that is useful information.

When you say many engine starts do you mean it will take many attempts to 'fire up'?

I think Johns saying it'll take a few 'drives' before it is all ok..? Rather than it failing to start. :thumbsup:

Does the corolla not have a MAF sensor or pressure combined with Temperature sensor? -  if it does check these. On many toyotas the ambient air temp sensor is in the air filter box.

Oil from the cone filters that use it can contaminate MAF sensors and cause them to malfunction, that is a possibility here I'd think.

Is it an FE engine? There prone to it. My red starlet done it as soon as i put a cone on it,as soon as i took it off it stopped but i used optimax as well !Check your ignition timing/spark plug gaps and re-set ecu. Is it when the engine is in labour(lol) It will eventuallt burn a hole in the top of your piston ! :blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links