Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Keys

Rob1

Please Help, I have just signed up. I own a 54 plate Yaris D4D its fantastic. My father in law liked it so much he went to the auctions and purchased a 52 Yaris D4D. The car is top class but unfortunately it only has one key, the sub key. Neither of the remote keys are present. I have tried to track the keys through the contract hire company to no avail. Toyota are stating we need a new ecu and keys at a cost of £800.

I have signed up for other forums and had great help. So thank you in anticipation - PLEASE there must be some solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Rob :ffs:

yep.

The solution is go to Toyota - hand over a credit card - take the hit.

Sorry....

What you have is the Valet key - you will find it wont work the boot lock either..

but unless you can source the original keys, its gonna cost you.... but thats the risk with auctions..

Welcome to the club...

If you ever want to use your deadlocks again, i suggest you take £140 of your english down to Mr T and ask them for a key.

A normal non-remote key is £70

Sorry, that's all you can do, i had to buy a normal key when i got mine... :thumbsup:

EDIT: I'm a fool who doesn't read posts properly... Are you sure you need a new ECU, after all you still have one key... Its not like you have lost the lot?

if the key starts the car it is programmed. you will not require a new ecu. as rob said 140 for a remote key, cut the same as the one you have and programed to the car. i know this as the same happened to me, but i managed to get a blank key off eBay, toyota cut it and programed it to the car.

you only need a new ECU if you loose the lot.

Yeah i thought so, cheers Chris mate!

Its not like a Ford where you need that Red beast... :thumbsup:

On the Valet key there should be a fob with the key code on, but only Toyota can give you a new set of beeper keys.....

Or if you can get a blank key from eBay (I did have one, but gave it away to someone else on here - sorry!) then you can get it re-programmed! :thumbsup:

Has anyone else noticed the amount of lies many Mr T dealers are spouting recently. I don't think its on at all!!! :ffs:

easy enough if you want key fobs, get a programmed key as suggested then get yourself a cheap aftermarket toad alarm with remote central locking for 125 quid

I would be more concerned with the fact that someone else has 2 keys to my car.

One morning it could be gone from my drive :eek:

The ECU option maybe because it would be reprogrammed electronically but having the same physical key pattern, you may get into the car but won’t be able to start it due to the reprogrammed ECU and immobiliser.

Difficult choice, if you want to save money then get just the keys from Mr T and make sure you use a steering lock like a Disklok in case someone with ulterior motives wants your motor.

I would be more concerned with the fact that someone else has 2 keys to my car.

One morning it could be gone from my drive  :eek:

Can happen easily though Reece - like when Karis was written off, turns out she was then sold at auction and the guy only had one key (the key that was in her when she crashed) - I had the other two, which I then kept in the cupboard as "nostalgia" (until I gave one away on here, then I only had one!)

But I honestly thought Karis was dead and buried anyway so I wouldnt have done anything naughty with the keys - even if I knew she was alive, which I now do, I wouldnt hunt the guy down and nick her although granted some people arent as nice!

check eBay im sure there was 2 keys and a central locking ecu on there then all u gotta do is get keys cut (local shoe booth) and programmed at mr T

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links