Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Me Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

turbonewboy

Hi

I have jst bought a Starlet GT Turbo and i want to do some tuning 2 the engine but i have never had a turbo before so i was wondering if any1 could help me out

Thanks

Chris

:thumbsup:

if you could find out what is the max safe boost pressure for your engine you could fit a bleed valve to the turbo and this will allow you to rasie you boost pressure and a FCD (fuel cut defender) this is to stop yor ECU cutting the fuel off as the boost rises higher than the ECU will allow.

Also if its an import pre 94 you can remove the cat converter and fit a decat.

There is lots you can do but you need to your research on your engine to find out what sort of tolerance it has to tuning.

Hope this helps you mate :thumbsup:

Yeah thanks it helps me alot.

But were can i find out what my engine can handle, cus i have been looking but cant find anything.

Sorry to be a pain

:wacko::unsure:

How much money do you have to spend?

i aint to sure aint really worked out jst after some info so i can work it out

Ok i know very little about the starlet turbo as a matter of fact ive never seen one in the flesh only in pictures.

But ive had a look at Fensports site on there engine tuning parts and they do bleed valves for a Starlet turbo so i think you would be ok to fit one but will need a FCD from what i also can see

Heres the site

www.fensport.co.uk

What i also would possible do is get a boost gauge fitted into the car (make sure its a fairly clear one to read as your going to need it) before you play with your boost and see what the max the turbo boosts to standard probably about 8-10 psi i would think then fit a bleed valve without an FCD then slowly raise the boost by 1psi at time and i think you will find that the ECU will cut te fuel at a limit say 12 psi for arguements sake then you know you can fit a FCD and run 12psi of boost fairly safely but if you get to silly boost pressure and the ECU dont cut the fuel (before fitting FCD) then back it off but i would think you could safely run 20%-30% higher boost levels as Toyota do not make weak engines.

But another thing to consider is if you raise your boost is to fit a a larger intercooler as as you raise boost pressures the intake temp rises witch can cause detination which is bad and can really make a mess or your engine and when you raise boost pressure remember you are putting more stain on the engine parts like the turbo, crankshaft, con rods ect ect which could possible shorten engine life as the old saying goes you dont get something for nothing

All i can say is be careful when tuning and playing with boost levels and things can go bang and cost ££££ when they do as i said at the begining of this post i know very little about the Starlet turbo and most of my work with tuning has been done on MR2 turbos so please dont take what i have written above as gospil as it could be wrong for the Starlet :thumbsup:

Agreed. I think the secret is to do this stuff in reasonable increments, and if the car is your daily driver then have some money in reserve to fix the parts that may break.

A boost gauge would be a wise investment for certain.

I have a second hand FCD (HKS, of course ;) ) for sale, -its a "type K" (there are two types) it came off my supra, so you'll have to check compatability. I also have a manual boost controller, and some guages.. as well as an apexi RSM if you are interested.

PM me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links