Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Single Din Head Unit For 2001 Corolla Gs

djtimp

:ph34r: I have just bought a second hand Corolla GS 2001 and i want to fit a standard single din CD player. The dash has the display and controls on the top of the dash board and a tape player (smaller than din) on the bottom of the dash/control column. Ive looked for dash/trim kits/adaptors on the internet but am having no luck. I dont want to get a factory cd/changer for the existing stereo as this costs almost £500. What can i do?? :huh:

The tape player prob isnt smaller than standard DIN size but its behind the centre console. You need to take out the existing headunit and fit your aftermarket one. If you take out the exisitng unit, it is connected to a pocket (making it double DIN size!), just undo the screws and place the CD player in. You need a set of autoleads for the corolla to save cutting wires and it just all plugs together. However, it does mean that you are left with the LCD at the top that cannot control your CD player. It still however, works as a fuel consumption indicator and clock. An extra cable is needed to maintain the privilege of stereo control with factory "pod."

The alternative would be to find a pre-facelift (97-00) model which houses the CD player in the pod at the top. But then a blanking plate perhaps needed for existing tape unit below?

Note that not all CD players will fit the single DIN size due to the presence of the centre console surround.

Hope this helps a bit, just read over it and its not too great, will help a bit more when have some extra time but in a bit of a rush! Sorry!

Oh, and welcome to TOC! :thumbsup:

Stereo removal thread

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links