Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy An Mr2

nathanfreke

Hi all, as the post says - i'm looking to buy an MR2... turbo (obviously!) Just wanted to know the bad points on the car and which version to go for??

Next q is the motor - just so you guys dont think i'm the usual newbie asking stupid novice questions i also own a corolla ae92 which i have rebuilt the engine and tuned it to 204hp keeping it N/A so i have a fair idea on what goes on. But im not totally clued up on turbo systems - i know how they work etc but all my experience has been on n/a.

So, once i have my car - sorted out the handling and brakes i want to start on the motor. I guess my aim would be to get between 300-325hp at the crank. Could i have some views / suggestions on this subject and setups of people who have managed it.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

just so you guys dont think i'm the usual newbie asking stupid novice questions i also own a corolla ae92 which i have rebuilt the engine and tuned it to 204hp keeping it N/A so i have a fair idea on what goes on.

:censor: Im very offended!!! As a newbie we all have to start somwhere, its just a shame people somethimes forget where they came from.

Cheers :thumbsup:

No offence meant to you but i have been on many forums where if you get a person asking the same sort of q i asked they just have a rant at you and accuse you of watching to much fast and the furious!!!

Sorry again :thumbsup:

just so you guys dont think i'm the usual newbie asking stupid novice questions i also own a corolla ae92 which i have rebuilt the engine and tuned it to 204hp keeping it N/A so i have a fair idea on what goes on.

:censor: Im very offended!!! As a newbie we all have to start somwhere, its just a shame people somethimes forget where they came from.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Wind your neck in mate! He only asked a question :ffs:

Firstly, welcome to TOC mate.

If you're looking for that sort of power, a revision 3 MkII is the best way to go. The earlier models (Rev I/II) had less power and smaller brakes. Early revision turbo's had 225bhp, and the revision 3 had 245+. It doesn't take much to get a rev 3 up arounfd the 300 horses mark.

You should be able to source a decent rev 3 for around £4000.

Happy hunting...

EarL. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info - what mods would be needed to get it up to that sort of power without killing the pistons??

Thanks again -

Most common Starter mods mods include :D

De-cat / Exhaust System,

Induction Kit,

Boost controller / G-Valve (most people run about 1bar with having the car mapped with on an aftrmarket ecu)

FCD,

Oh yeah, and ou wanna get a proper boost gauge before you start altrering the boost :yes:

Thanks for the info - what mods would be needed to get it up to that sort of power without killing the pistons??

Thanks again -

If you wnet for a Type III (oct 1993 upwards) like EarL mentions then FULL exhaust, intake (try and sheild it from the engine bay), boost controller + probably a unichip, & 17 psi should see you up around the 300-320 mark assuming the engine is in great shape :)

To go above that mark on a Type III you would really need another turbo...ct20b is good up to the 18 odd psi fuel cut.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Thanks for the info guys.

What exhaust is a good one to go for?? Nothing too loud, but gives good power increase ; )

Nathan

Buy my car ;)

It's got all the basics done.

Make sure the car has no play on the turbo and that the engine electrics are sound. Also check for a blown HG on the rev1/2, as it's the weak point on the engine.

I would guess that your car is out of my price range but, ill ask anyway - how much do you want for it?

I would guess that your car is out of my price range but, ill ask anyway - how much do you want for it?

offer him a crate of strongbow and a fiver mate :lol::lol:

depends what spec you want it .. at the moment it's got everything (2 sets of rims, 2 bonnets, loads of ICE, Apexi gear, bodykit etc).

People are already offering me dosh for all the add on's .. £450 for my 18"s, £390 for the CF bonnet etc.

I could put the car back to fairly stock .. up to you if you *really* wanted it.

I'm hoping to get close to 7k for the car .. I can sell loads of bits for a few k . and then the car for 4/5k

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links