Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thank Goodness We're Not Buying In The States...

alanbradley

The price quality thing -- UK-US. Would it be possible that cars bought in the US are cheaper because of tax?

The prices I quoted were before VAT or American sales tax, but the tax adds even MORE to the difference as they pay 20%+ or something absurd like that in Britain compared to 4-8% here in the U.S.

Just to clarify, the prices I quoted were inclusive of tax and as close to "on the road" as I could find...

:thumbup:

A

The price quality thing -- UK-US. Would it be possible that cars bought in the US are cheaper because of tax?

The prices I quoted were before VAT or American sales tax, but the tax adds even MORE to the difference as they pay 20%+ or something absurd like that in Britain compared to 4-8% here in the U.S.

17.5% when I left, 22% where I live now, food and books having a lower rate etc. I think its a little inconsiderate to put a value on this practice ('absurd'). On the one hand, Americans do get to drive more luxurious cars that are within the finacial reach of comparatively lower earners. That's nice, because it's still a lot of money and shouldn't everyone, not just the elite, feel chuffed about their car?

But then again, many nations believe in collecting taxes. And times have changed -- the money doesn't go to the greedy king's counting house. It actually gets reditributed to build necessary infrastructure, provide education, fund hospitals and welfare etc. Of course, you know all that stuff already. I also believe in state subsidized public transport since in the private sector there's always a conflict of interests between profit and passenger safety. There are many instances like this, and here we (would) have the added bonus of environmental decency resulting from lower ticket prices getting people out of their cars and onto the bus or train.

So, if we do collect taxes, which items should be taxed? Naturally the luxury items like cars and the fuel we put in them. Better this than food or books, and we should also pay for the envirnmental load we create with the manufacture and disposal of the car and the fuel. Where this does fall down of course, is that not everyone lives in a population centre with public transport, so there are some cases where a car could be seen as necessary as food. But perhaps various costs could make you more careful about how often you use it.

There's a new line of tax thinking up for debate -- it's almost an extension of things like Germany's packaging tax, where the consumer pays for the environmental load of a product's packaging. The consumer is ultimately responsible. Instead of paying income tax, we pay consumption tax. You get to keep your income, but when you start buying, consuming and creating environmental load, you pay. Worth thinking about.

Here's me waffling on again. A totally turned thread.

I don't have a problem with some taxes being based upon environmental impact.

Most big SUV-loving American's would never go for it though.

I generally try to make socially responsible choices in what I buy. The fuel economy was a big factor in my choosing the car I did, even though petrol is very cheap here and economics don't make it a necessity. I would not feel good about myself driving something that got 14 mpg unless I absolutely needed it.

There is, in fact, already a gas-guzzler tax, scionic. That at least has a little something to do with the environment, but you only pay it once.

I don't think the blue cloud that follows my Voyager is very socially responsible :(

I'd buy a car that only got 5mpg, but it would be a Saturday morning toy :thumbsup: My daily driver would have to do a lot better.

That's true, but it's a little silly considering it hardly applies to anything. SUV's are considered trucks, so they duck it.

No fuel economy rules will change to any meaningful degree as long as there are Republicans in power in DC. Simple fact, not a criticism or anything. They are in bed with Detroit. No way in hell they will raise CAFE standards more than half a point or do anything that matters. We'll have to wait a few years for progress there.

I hate politicians in general, but Republicans are second only to Ralph Nader in suckitude.

Fun Fact: WI is the birthplace of the Republican party, but has generally been a Democrat stronghold in elections.

Interesting.

It sure ain't the party of old Abe Lincoln anymore, thats for sure.

I agree that most politicians suck though, including Ralph Nader. I don't think Nader sucks, he's a great man in a lot of ways. He just sucks as a wannabe politician.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links