Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uprated (stiffer) Springs - Not Lowering

dj_davo

are there stiffer springs available at standard ride height?

i finally got my split rims on - (pics to follow very soon) and on cornering the rear arches are rubbing and scoring the tyres. i dont fancy rolling the arches and hope that a rock hard spring might do the trick.

the wheels are 9j and as you can imagine stick out a touch! and consequently lowering is not an option, :o mind you cos there is now an extra inch against the standard profile they fill the arches lovely anyway.

Id try a set of bump stops before iw ent all out on springs.

Id guess to get just stiffer, and not lower, you would have to but a fully adjustable set of coilovers, and set them to stock height !

cos there is now an extra inch against the standard profile they fill the arches lovely anyway.

What profile/size tyres have you fitted? It could be that you have the wrong size on, especially if they fill the arch more.

well they are bigger than standard, but by most accounts the same as most people.

17 inch wheel with a 40 profile tyre.

i think my problem is that they are split rims, and wide ones at that. the front wheel is an 8j, and the rear is a 9j, so they stick out slightly proud of the arches.

im probably gonna have to remove the inner wheel arch liners on the front as they rub a bit on full lock - rubber on plastic for a split second doesn't bother me that much, but the noise annoys.

on the back (problem area) the inner arch is catching, on cornering or bumps, because rather than merely dropping by the side of a smaller width wheel it is dropping right on my wide beasties.

i could get a bodyshop to roll the arches, but would rather try a stiffer spring before i make a permanent adjustment to the panels.

maybe a bump stop as previously mentioned? - gonna take a visit to a local spring manufacturers this week. :thumbsup:

well they are bigger than standard, but by most accounts the same as most people.

17 inch wheel with a 40 profile tyre.

i think my problem is that they are split rims, and wide ones at that. the front wheel is an 8j, and the rear is a 9j, so they stick out slightly proud of the arches.

im probably gonna have to remove the inner wheel arch liners on the front as they rub a bit on full lock - rubber on plastic for a split second doesn't bother me that much, but the noise annoys.

on the back (problem area) the inner arch is catching, on cornering or bumps, because rather than merely dropping by the side of a smaller width wheel it is dropping right on my wide beasties.

i could get a bodyshop to roll the arches, but would rather try a stiffer spring before i make a permanent adjustment to the panels.

maybe a bump stop as previously mentioned? - gonna take a visit to a local spring manufacturers this week.  :thumbsup:

You need to have the arch lip rolled. My wheels did this when I put my new tyres on (My wheels are the wrong offset so I have to run them with 20mm spacers). It's easy enough to do yourself if you're brave enough.

Take the rear wheel off and jack the car as far in the air as you can. Take a piece of gaffa tape and apply it to the lip of the arch. Now get a decent hair dryer and warm up the paint around the top of the arch on the inside lip. This is done so the paint doesn't crack. The heat allows it to stretch when you move the inner lip.

Now the scary bit! When the lip is nice and warm, tap the lip with a decent hammer. TAP it, then warm it, then TAP it, then warm it. You need to do this until the lip is at a decent enough angle that it misses the tyre when the car is lowered back onto the ground.

My car's on -40 Eibach springs and when the car is sat on the ground, there's only around 10mm between the tyre and the arch (when viewed from the side), but there's no rubbing when I go over any bumps.

It can be done easily by a bodyshop, but if you're brave enough to have a go, and you take your time, you can save yourself a fair few quid.

HTH,

EarL.

cheers earl.

i am indeed not brave enough to try that. :lol: dont mind changing cambelts, headgaskets etc. but dont wanna start bending metal. :!Removed!:

that will always be my backup plan, but if i can get a stiffer spring that may stop the arch moving towards the tyre i would prefer that route first. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links