Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Pedal Oddness

jaxx

after a long stint on the motorway, and im sort of talking at least half an hour of constant motor way speed with no gear changes

coming to a slip road etc... and going for the gear down, on a couple of occasions the clutch pedal freely goes down and stops in the footwell :huh:

car is still in selected gear and freely will drive on, i have to hook my toe under the pedal and lift it up, then ideally knock the car into neautral and pump the pedal two or three times before normal operation resumes, after that it goes along fine again :wacko:

i bleieve the clutch is controlled hydraulically? do i have air in the system or has something broke :eek:

never happens on a normal town drive or brisk A road drive, only after a healthy stint on the MWay???

elp!

:!Removed!:

could check the level of fluid, under the front bonnet, next to the brake reserviour

me and les checked it one day (track attack me thinks)

was full then :unsure:

Check your master cylinder as well. If thats knackered that will start giving you problems.

You'll find it's a plastic shim on the back of the pedal thats worn through. Mine did the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

I had to take the clevis pin out of the back of the pedal assembly, make a small steel shim (looks like a small steel cylinder about a centimeter wide), and slot this over the clevis pin instead of the plastic part.

Took a good couple of hours to make. Filing, grinding & polishing to get the right fit in the pedal, but it works like a charm. I used one of the small steel shims from one of the grommets out of the stock airbox. If you still have yours, take a look at the mounting grommets, they have steel inserts. Take one of those out and use one of them.

HTH mate. :thumbsup:

EarL.

umm ta earl but im a little confused! can ya put that into a bot more detail

ie where to look exactly?

umm ta earl but im a little confused! can ya put that into a bot more detail

ie where to look exactly?

Sure mate.

You need to get on your back in the drivers footwell, and look at the back of your clutch pedal. You should see where the rod connects to the pedal assembly. The clevis pin holds the rod to the pedal, and the piece you need to replace is a small round plastic cylinder that fits over the clevis pin and into the pedal. I replaced mine with a steel cylinder instead of paying Mr T a fortune for a piece of plastic!

It's hard to explain, just take a look, it'll make more sense then mate. Bit of a fiddle, but well worth the bad back :lol:

HTH.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links