Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Margarine Or Butter

jerry phipps

Hi everyone

Just received a email from my sister and it has some very interesting fact about margarine and butter :o

So read on if you are interested ;)

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it

killed the

turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted

a

payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with

this

product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food

appeal so

they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place

of

butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new

flavourings.

DO YOU KNOW...the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5

grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over

eating the

same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in

other

foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only

because

they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the

flavors of

other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around

for

less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine...

Very high in trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease.

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and

lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS

VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC...

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and

anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added,

changing

the

molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded

area.

Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that

should

tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional

value;nothing will grow on it

Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow.

Why?

Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and

spread

that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to "butter them up")!

Jerry!!

:eek:

Isnt St Ivel Gold margerine?

I bought a large tub of St Ivel Gold and it was so large it took us ages to finish it and it started to go mouldy..... but that said that marge never goes funky?

I think I'll be buying butter from now on though! :unsure:

It's quite disturbing dont you think :o

jerry!!

just told the missus

buy butter next time!!!!!

Ya can't spread a better bit o' butter on ya toast :thumbsup:

whats lurpack?

i like lurpack

IS LURPACK BUTTER??

PLEASE TELL ME IT IS!!!

Lurpak is butter - just looked on Tesco.com! :thumbsup:

I'm already adding some Anchor to the shopping as we speak!

That's well surprising, I allways thought that Marg was ment to be the healthy option, doesn't seem that way anymore.

What about Olivio ??????? made from olive oil, so where does it land in the Butter V Marg stakes????

It just makes you wonder to see how people will sell you something bad just to make a profit. But still they know that it's bad and they will still sell it to make a quick buck :censor:

jerry!!

It just makes you wonder to see how people will sell you something bad just to make a profit. But still they know that it's bad and they will still sell it to make a quick buck  :censor:

jerry!!

You only need to look at the tobacco companies to see that, makes me sick to my stomach

It just makes you wonder to see how people will sell you something bad just to make a profit. But still they know that it's bad and they will still sell it to make a quick buck  :censor:

jerry!!

You only need to look at the tobacco companies to see that, makes me sick to my stomach

i agree with you there. Government is the main cause... if there was no tax on ciggies then the government would have made it illegal years ago.

what is good for you these days huh?

The govermnment want to control polution.. but the government take their huge slice in taxes from fuels and ciggies.

I gave up a few years ago.. I feel so much better off not drip feeding the government and keeping more money in my pocket.

Yeah, of course they would, you only need to think of the food scare when that food colouring had links to cancer to see what would happen if there wasnt so much tax on tobacco.

It really annoys me but people know the dangers, if they want to kill themselves while paying taxes that would otherwise be divided by every1 else then its their choice. Just depresses me knowing how many people suffer just because the government hasnt got the balls to ban smoking outright. At least they're making steps so that people who dont smoke dont suffer the effects of smoking though

Fair play to you Steve :thumbsup: I must have been hard to give up mate

jerry!!

Yeah, of course they would, you only need to think of the food scare when that food colouring had links to cancer to see what would happen if there wasnt so much tax on tobacco.

It really annoys me but people know the dangers, if they want to kill themselves while paying taxes that would otherwise be divided by every1 else then its their choice. Just depresses me knowing how many people suffer just because the government hasnt got the balls to ban smoking outright. At least they're making steps so that people who dont smoke dont suffer the effects of smoking though

problem is i think alot of people want to give up but cant. Its a tough habit to crack.

But damn I feel top of the world. :)

Fair play to you Steve  :thumbsup: I must have been hard to give up mate

jerry!!

Definitely - fairplay to anyone whos recently given up - not that I know its hard, I've never smoked in my life but my other half has been given up for over 3 years now and I'm so proud. :D

My Dad gave up when he found out my Mum was pregnant with me, just gave up, just like that, and back in 1981 there was no help to give up, no patches, it was all willpower and Dad hasnt smoked now for 23 years!

I commend anyone who has the amount of willpower you need to quit.

Yeah, my mum did, she found out she was pregnant with my brother then quit, I was born 3 years later, didnt start again til years after I was born, never understood why she started again. My dad quit on December 31st 1999, hasnt smoked in this millenium, my mum tried to quit again in new year's day this year but couldnt do it. It really bugs me that she's taking all the risks involved just because there's a chemical in them that her body feels it needs all the time, as a none-smoker though I suppose I'll never understand what it feels like to be in that situation. All credit though to any1 who's quit, doesnt sound easy.

its similar to hunger.... when you really want to get something to eat. Especially late at night.. you know when you feel like a snack late.

Or munchies :unsure:

food is an addiction... same as water... you feel good afterwards.. same as going to the toilet.. your body makes you feel better afterwards.

All i know is when I've finished my margarine i will be buying butter from now on as this is kinda worrying dont you think?

jerry!!

OK so what do I do? I buy Flora Buttery because we were told Les's cholestrol was too high and its supposed to reduce the levels! We have banned butter from ours house even though we really love it! :wacko:

Betty baught a bit of butter but the butter tasted bitter, so Betty took the bit of butter back to the butter shop :P :lol:

ewwwwww butter mings, its disgusting fatty salty and horrid!!!!

Margerine USED to have all the qualities as listed in your facinating e-mail, nowadays "margerine" has been replaced by spreads of the vegetable and olive oil based nicities that you find in the likes of tescos, however if you do want old fashioned margerine, ECHO margerine was one of the first margerines ever to be produced and people still use it nowadays, esp for making cakes or pastries!!

Showed my other half and he has rubbished it saying that if margerine was really so bad the FSA would have removed it from shelves ages ago, like they did with foods containing Sudan 1, which were also linked to cancers.

He also explained the whole science bit too, but I didnt really pay much attention - basically he says its a well known email scam thats been doing the rounds for years.....

So I dunno what to believe! :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links