Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Gti Idle Problem

Antd4agze

Hi everyone :) . My rolla sometimes cuts out on idle once I've driven it around for a bit,or if I've been on a motorway journey.This has been goin on for some time. It just seems to betting worse now and I have to keep revving it especially on a hot day in heavy traffic. I recently replaced the distributor cap and the ignition leads,but the problem persists. Could this be a problem with the cold air intake?I've been thinking of fitting an induction kit :D .

Any ideas <_< ?

Cheers

Ant

ive heard of a similar problem on golfs, and i think it turned out to be the airflow meter on them. could be that, but to be perfectly honest, i dont even know if a corolla has one! :D

1992 gti ? blimey that must be one of the last ever.... :)

No AFM on that its MAP sensored and therefore could be a split in the rubber tube going to the vacuum sensor (thats the blue VSV in the side of the airbox) or it could be a fuelling problem.

Try taking off the throttle body and giving it a really good clean out with thinners and get all the airways clean and free from black goo.

let us know how you go.

Hi Jon

I took off the airfilter box and trunking yesterday and it seemed slightly dusty. The airfilter also seemed a bit dirty[slightly black] and the underside is oily. So,this may have caused this problem. Its also possible that the filter is knackered as I have never replaced it in the 3yrs that I have the car. What do u think?

Cheers

Ant

PS. I bet you can't wait to go to South Africa :D .You must certainly get yourself a set of those lexus style lights ;) !

Yes the 4age suffers really badly if it cannot breathe properly, i had similar trouble with mine art low revs and loss of power at high revs.

K&N cleanable filter soon fixed that.

not only am i looking forward to my trip my mother-in-law is coming here on July 9th so if anyone needs any service parts i can ask her to fill her hand luggage, she's already bringing a complete head gasket set LOL...

Hi jon

Thanx for ur replies. I think I will replace the old filter with a standard one from Fensport for now. Will cost me under £20 ;) . HKS Super Powerflow induction kit is on the cards as a future mod. Ultimately I want to do the GZE conversion,but still got a long way to go.

Have u got any info on "Team Total" ,the rally team from Toyota South Africa?. I'm trying to find their website. Apparently Serge Damseau and his son aint doing too bad with their new Corolla's.

Cheers

Ant

JT, Thanx for your reply mate :thumbsup: . I notice u live in Warrington. Not too far from me then. I live probably 2 min drive from the entrance to Knowsley safaripark just outside Liverpool.What car do u drive?

JT

Ignore my last question...just saw what u drive on your post re this topic,dah... :D

Ant

Take the filter off and stretch a pair of tights over the intake for a trip round the block to see if it cures it first.

Ant, team total or the damseaux family ha ha ha now theres a funny story, are you sitting comfortably, good then i'll begin.....

I heard about a corolla 4wd from the factory used for rallying, rare as rocking hose****e tracked one down to SA, it was owned by Serge and then passed down to his son JP, told my wife about it and guess what, she went to school with JP and they were quite good friends, got onthe phone to my father in law and asked if he knew Serge and JP and he laughed, the workshop he has now he rents from Serge !! and they're pretty good friends also, so i asked him to find out about the car for me, the car eventually went to Zimbabwae but apparently the rally scene there has dropped off loads and i have some friends tryingto track another 4WD corolla for me.

Serge and JP are doing really well apparently you can catch up with them here;

www.damseauxmotorsport.co.za

P.S. the engine and drive train in the 4WD corolla is built by AC Schnitzer :eek:

Jon

Tried the tights and I think it did make a difference :) . There was a slight misfire on idle ,but hardly noticeable.With the airfilter in situ idling becomes slightly irregular again and the misfiring is more noticeable. I'm going to check the plugs this weekend as well and then replace the airfilter. In the past I relied on mech's to check these things out and I can't say for sure if they changed the plugs on the last service <_< . Its much more exciting working on the car myself ;) . I'm just worried I'll have to take a taxi to work the following day if I mess about it to much in the week :lol: .

Cheers

Ant

Ant, if you havent already done it, take the air box and inlet off of the throttle body, remove the Vacuum pipe, then undo the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body to the inlet, and remove the accel cable, then use some thinners or white sprirt to clean out the throttle body and all its little nooks and crannies, use a pipe cleaner on the small tubes and holes and get it really clean.

it will make a huge difference to the performance of your car.

JT, Thanx for your reply mate  . I notice u live in Warrington. Not too far from me then. I live probably 2 min drive from the entrance to Knowsley safaripark just outside Liverpool.What car do u drive?

it's a '85 corolla GT (just to confirm, lol :D )

yeah, not far. infact, i used to be closer - st helens. ill have to look out for you if im up round there

I've changed the airfilter today while the engine was still quite warmed up after driving from work. On the test run the performance was slightly better,but not majorly so. On idle she still pants after a few seconds and then just cuts out :crybaby: . I'll clean the throttle body sometime this week,and I still need to check the plugs.

Cheers

Ant

just out of interest Ant, you say your car is a 1992 ? i thought they stopped making them in 1991 so was yours not registered until 1992 ? must have been one of the very last ones off the line ??

mine was made in 1990 but reg 1991 (H) and i dont often get to see ones of that era either, apart from Pauls one when we had the corolla club up and running. :)

Hi Jon

My rolla was first registered on 3April 1992.It was in very good condition when I got it March 2000.Sadly the rust is eating it up :crybaby: .It is possible they may have made it towards the end of 1991,but I would not know how to establish that. I wonder when the 4ag3sg site is going to be online again.Would love to see what everyone's been up to and especially what Nad has done to his rolla.

Cheers

Ant

• 5 weeks later...

Still the same old problem with the idling when the engine is warm. Even worse during the hot spells we had recently. I have checked and cleaned the air trunking and throttle body.Checked the spark plugs all good,though one of them I could not remove. I wonder if the bloke f :censor: it up at the garage where I had it serviced last year.

When the weather is cooler then I don't have a big problem with it either. The car drives great as long as it doesn't get too warmed up.

Any further ideas?

• 1 month later...

I was searching the internet last night looking for information about what an idle up VSV was and how it worked when I came up with this thread.

I have a 92 Corolla, and it has exactly the same fault as yours from your description.

I've had the car for 18months, and it has always run well and idled well when cold. When the engine is hot (after an average journey or on subsequent journeys to the first drive of the day) taking off the throttle causes the idle revs to dip to 600 before coming back to 800. Then it would idle erratically between the two.

The problem has got worse, and a couple of weeks ago the idle was dropping down to 2-300, sometimes recovering, more often than not stalling.

Im investigating the problem at the moment, how the airflow is controlled etc. Hence looking into the auxiliary air valve and idle up VSV.

Have you had any success since your last post in isolating the fault?

--------------------

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links