Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tried Out A Turbo!

dawolf

Yesterday I popped to a nearby import garage and got a short test drive in an MR2 turbo. Was a silver rev 2 in average-poor condition, there was no way I'd have bought it, just wanted to see what the turbo model was like.

Only drove it for about a mile but I have to say it felt pretty damn quick once the turbo kicked in, had a nice sounding dump valve too. It drove a lot different to my N/A, the sudden kick in power was nice. It felt very sluggish below 3500rpm though, I guess this is the lag. Mechanically, I think the car had a few minor problems but the drive still made me realise how fun the turbo is. Couldn't help but put my foot down, even the garage bloke said I seemed like a fast driver after I razzed round a roundabout, lol. I plan to buy a turbo model or go for the transplant in my N/A at some point in the future.

In my experience an MR2 turbo neglected on the outside is often neglected on the inside too - namely under the bonnet.

It shouldn't have felt sluggish below 3.5k.

After 2-2.5k the turbo should really be spinning well and it should feel anything but sluggish!

My advice is to test drive plenty of MR2 turbo's some out of your budget too. You'll soon get a feel of what you get for your money and how bad some cars are on the market - especially 'some' dealers!

Ben Formesyn has an excellent buyers guide to the MR2 turbo, well worth taking a look...

http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/buyMR2T.html

HTH

Rowland :thumbsup:

Ok you certainly feel the turbo spooling up, but i wouldnt say's it gutless at low revs.

You've reminded me of my first drive of a tubby.

The sales man said you can put your foot down if you want.

So I did then i shouted "%$(" i didnt know the clock where still on KPH"

in which he replied "It's not" with a very worried face. :eek::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links