Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aw10

Tegan

Just been doing a bit of reading on the mk1 and came across the mr2 owners club of New Zealand ..

Bit of history on there mentions an Aw10 model that was manufcatured with a single carbeurettor 1500cc engine before the fuel injected 1600cc twin cam 4AGE engine became standard.

Just curious , does anybody know if this model was NZ built only?

Are there any in the UK?

Cheers

T x

Just been doing a bit of reading on the mk1 and came across the mr2 owners club of New Zealand ..

Bit of history on there mentions an Aw10 model that was manufcatured with a single carbeurettor 1500cc engine  before the fuel injected 1600cc twin cam 4AGE engine became standard.

Just curious , does anybody know if this model was NZ built only?

Are there any in the UK?

Cheers

T x

There's some 1542 AW10's produced right up to the end of the Mk1 production (well they stopped one month before the AW11 in September 1989 actually). The AW11 with 4A-GE (and later 4A-GZE) wasn't meant to replace the 3A-LU engined AW10, but rather as a cheaper version of it. Actual production of it started in July 1984 whereas the AW11 started production one month earlier. Most seem to be tintop or sunroof models.

I think (not 100% sure) that it was a JDM only model.

From what I know there's supposed to be a couple in the UK.

Yves.

Sorry to be a bone head but im not too sure what JDM means?  is that japanese only?

Yep, stands for Japanese Domestic Market.

Yves.

ah thanks :)

Might be a bit of a collectors item then , even though they are smaller engine size than the uk spec

I remember reading up on the history of the MR2. The original prototype project was known as the SA-X. It all began as early as 1976. It was only in '79 they took the designs further and was unveiled at the Tokyo Motor show in '83. I have also heard/read bits elsewhere of the AW10 which became the AW11 in 85 then something along the lines of AW12, AW13, AW14, AW15 etc... for each modification Toyota did.

I stand very corrected on this lot though... :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links