Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lowering Springs

dj_davo

from my understanding you can get eibach's in a 10 or 15mm drop, and other brands in 30, 40 or upwards drop.

is this a fair assumption?

and do peeps know what %age increased stiffness over stock springs these aftermarket ones are?

im considering getting a custom set made up for me by a local coil spring manufacturer who make springs for, amongst others, formula 1 racing teams.

thinking of a 20mm drop with maybe 50% or more stiffness over standard.

Eibach do a Pro Kit set which lowers by 25mm, and about 20-25% stiffer... but progressive, and another set which are Sportlines which lowers by 40mm, and about 40% stiffer... but progressive.

The Sportline are obviously a harsher ride, but offer greatly reduced body roll and a lower stance. You feel every bump.

The Pro Kit are don't completely eliminate body roll, but are a nice compromise between the stock springs and the Sportline.

Sportline you need to get from the States really.

I've had both on my car. Unfortunately, when I put my first set on, I found I had a set of lowering springs on there already which weren't progressive, and a lot stiffer than the Pro Kit... so my ride got softer! What I'm trying to say is that I didn't get to do a comparison between stock and Pro Kit... but can do one between Pro Kit and Sportline.

20mm isn't that big a drop. From a looks point of view, you'll hardly notice it.

To get a set custom made you'll need to let them know the spring rates for front and rear. I think it will work out expensive that way. You're better off paying for Eibach's, which will probably turn out cheaper, and you know that they've properly tested and developed the springs for your car.

Hope this helps.

:thumbsup:

thx fella, some good info there :thumbsup:

i may be in a similar boat to the one you sailed in! im not sure if mine are stock either. the back needs lowering, whereas the front is almost spot on.

because of the increase in wheel/tyre diameter with my new wheels, and the width they are i could do with only about a 20mm drop but really stiff to stop any fouling of the arches, and hardly touch the front (have a look at my split rim thread - see what you think about the ride height)?

but if they are a different spring setup i could end up with the problem you had.

the chap at the spring place showed me the technical data for the mr2, numbers of coils, poundage, height etc.

he suggested either measuring my desired ride height and giving them my springs as a base to start from and letting them adjust accordingly, or use their template and tell them what %age increased stiffness, and reduction in height i desire.

helpful chap who said if i wasnt happy with the 1st draft they would re-tweak them for me for free. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links