Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stuck Rear Caliper

Leeky

Im getting my aw11 shipshape for its mot and decided to change the brake pads we're a little metal on metal at the rear :rolleyes:

Anyway i cant seem to wind back the rear caliper i took off, it just will not budge and i can see what looks like the rubber seal mangled around the piston :unsure:

Do i need a new caliper or can this be saved?

you are using the too to twist the piston back? pushing them wont work, and have you took cap off fluid reservoir, i did mine last week and it took some effort and scraped knuckles but once you get them moving it becomes easier, try gettin some oil under the seal and let it work its way in, or if you cant be bothered get a recon caliper!

just out of interest is the aw11 rear caliper the same as a rev1 sw20?

I have just done my rears on my sw20, and one side was well stuck.

1st side i could wind back in with thin nosed pliers !!!

Had to get my brother to help on the second, one of us holding the caliper (and one side of the 're-!Removed! device) and the other leavering the tool with a long bar (jack handle) over the re-wind tool arm.

This was after much swearing, and not initialy realising that they were screw in.......trying to puch them for ages......muppet !!

try using an extended arm on the re-winding device.

Hold on....there's a tool to'twist them back? :unsure: They dont just push back....

Where can i get this tool? :blink:

any car shop, best go to a local parts shop and pick one up for a few quid! at least asking on here has saved you buying another caliper!!!

Cheers dude

Has this tool got a specific name?

Which way do i twist it? Anticlockwise?

:thumbsup:

clockwise to push piston back in, just ask for the tool to wind the piston in and theyll know what your on about, its just like a big corkscrew with 2 connecting lugs thatll match up and grip with your piston face, youll end up kicking yourself now once you find out how easy it could have been!

you can buy it at Halfords its a circular steel plate with 4 studs sticking up.be wary of the handbrake while !Removed! it in.

mr2 is only 2 studs! also check cable while your there, founds mine wasnt realeasing fully so brakes wouldnt adjust themselves up properly

Cheers dude

Has this tool got a specific name?

Which way do i twist it? Anticlockwise?

:thumbsup:

a set of needle nose will do it ..

the tool Halfords sell has attatchments for most makes , 4 stud and 2 stud and slotted types. :thumbsup:

Great stuff! Thanks alot peeps, i popped to Halfrauds and bought one of those twisty tools.

Few twists and a lot of swearing and i managed to turn it back and get the new pads in with enough room to get the disc back in between :D

(Will fit it back onto the car tomorrow as its getting late now)

Big thanks to everyone - Esp Houston - Thanks for the quick reply dude, thanks to you i made it to to store in time to do the job today :thumbsup:

So my next question is....

Can anyone tell me how to bleed the caliper? (never done it before) as i removed it from the car :lol::thumbsup:

screw the flexi hose back in loosen the bleed nipple and let gravity do its job ,when the fluid begins to drip from nipple tighten it and, then pump the brakes a few times and bleed it in the pump and release bleed screw fashion.a few times.

Great stuff! Thanks alot peeps, i popped to Halfrauds and bought one of those twisty tools.

Few twists and a lot of swearing and i managed to turn it back and get the new pads in with enough room to get the disc back in between :D

(Will fit it back onto the car tomorrow as its getting late now)

Big thanks to everyone - Esp Houston - Thanks for the quick reply dude, thanks to you i made it to to store in time to do the job today  :thumbsup:

So my next question is....

Can anyone tell me how to bleed the caliper? (never done it before) as i removed it from the car  :lol:  :thumbsup:

I'll come over and help man, done a few of them ..

Me and Rob found out after much swearing and bout half an hour that pliers will do the job , to turn the piston back- im sure it was much easier with the little tool jobbie! Must get one for next time! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer of the help dude, But im all done now :D , caliper back on and pads done! - may as well pop over and have a peek at it if your not up to much :thumbsup: (bibbs)

Handy little tool this twisty thing :) (will come in handy in the future im sure)

Just waiting for my new tyres to get here (17th i think is the delivery date) and then i can get the MOT and tax put on her :D

Anyone want a Silver AW11 for £500? :lol::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links