Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recent Mr2 Purchase

PaulAndrews

Hi all!

Short time lurker, first time poster, so please be gentle! :D

My missus has just bought an MR2 Gt-TURBO, as a fresh import from Japan. Just wanted to know if there are any tips etc. that you lot might have? I scouted around some of the threads last week and picked up a lot of useful stuff, but just wondering if there are any other general titbits :wacko:

I was particularly interested in finding an English language handbook. Any ideas?

Regards

Paul

what kind of tips are ya looking for bud? driving tips.. modding tips.. or just lil quick things about the car? ohh.. and welcome! you wont be disappointed!

what kind of tips are ya looking for bud? driving tips.. modding tips.. or just lil quick things about the car? ohh.. and welcome! you wont be disappointed!

Blimey! That was quick! Lil quick things would be a good place to start. It's already been slightly modded. Got a stainless steel exhaust that gets it to about 240bhp (apparently :blink: ), and it's got a turbo timer.

Took it out for a blat last night, and it's reasonably entertaining! :D

P

my only tip is not to rag it within the first 10 minutes of driving, when you first start it up during the day. and keep on top of it maintenance wise, other than that it should be a joy to drive and own :)

my only tip is not to rag it within the first 10 minutes of driving, when you first start it up during the day. and keep on top of it maintenance wise, other than that it should be a joy to drive and own :)

Indeedy.. never boost from cold.. you should let the engine warm up for abotu 10 min of off boost driving which gives time for the oil to warm up etc. Then enjoy..

Never lift off mid corner or hit the boost mid corner as it will unbalance the car and catch you out. Keep a stedy pace through bends if your going quick and defo make sure you have good tyres on.

Also if you have after market rims on there.. ensure that you have a wider rubber at the rear and smaller at the front as the standard setup is the same.

Always check the oil/coolant levels and make sure you give the car an oil change about every 4/5k max..

If you have a T-bar it WILL leak.. unless you are one of the lucky few. The rubber seals start to sit down a bit after a few years and little gaps start to appear enough for a few drops to come in.

finally.. Respect the car and never be over confident when driving.. :yes: :bookworm:

I'll shutup now.. :ph34r::rolleyes::bye:

WELCOME :thumbsup:

Best bit off adivice is to get your self insured mate and me if your feeling generous.... :D

Top stuff! Shall pass this on to the missus. She's quite nervous driving the thing at the mo, but I'm sure she'll find her feet!

Dunno if she'll go for any other mods at the mo, but I'll see what I can persuade her to....

I'll see if she'll let me post some pics sometime soon

Cheers

P

Top stuff!  Shall pass this on to the missus.  She's quite nervous driving the thing at the mo, but I'm sure she'll find her feet!

Dunno if she'll go for any other mods at the mo, but I'll see what I can persuade her to....

I'll see if she'll let me post some pics sometime soon

Cheers

P

No worries matey.. just ask away with questions.. :thumbsup:

I forgot to say.. ENJOY the car.. as its a little beasty...

What did she drive before the tubby? Please dont tell me it was a stereotypical FWD 1.2 jobbie? :ph34r:

What did she drive before the tubby? Please dont tell me it was a stereotypical FWD 1.2 jobbie? :ph34r:

Not quite! She's always had half decent motors, and trade in for the MR2 was a 2 litre Mondeo, which she drove like a maniac! :eek:

As I said, she's still a bit nervous of the MR2, but i'm sure she'll soon be back up to speed! :D

She had quite a shock at the petrol station this morning though. No Shell garages near us, so she stuck some BP Ultimate in and it was 93p a litre!! :crybaby:

P

Not quite! She's always had half decent motors, and trade in for the MR2 was a 2 litre Mondeo, which she drove like a maniac! :eek:

As I said, she's still a bit nervous of the MR2, but i'm sure she'll soon be back up to speed! :D

She had quite a shock at the petrol station this morning though. No Shell garages near us, so she stuck some BP Ultimate in and it was 93p a litre!! :crybaby:

P

:lol: Tell her to get used to the lack of MPG.. :P

Hi and welcome

What do you drive by the way? id say defo get yourself insured on the mr2 they are so much fun!

Only it of advice really - take it very easy in the wet! (Just learnt that valuable lesson myself - no matter how good a driver you are it doesnt matter) :rolleyes:

Other than that as said by fizz - the roof will leak! tell her to have a towel in the car just in case :)

I've got an Astra SXi, but then again I have to ferry my 5 year old around every other weekend. Mind you, it is reasonable fun for a 1.6! :D

I'm insured on the MR2 alright! Made sure I was! :P Mind you, i am 33 so I probably help keep her premiums down... (Sewelly, I'll ask her about insuring you, but I wouldn't hold your breath! :D )

P

Welcome mate.

You'll both love the car... just take it easy. As soon as you think you know the car it will have you.

Pics needed though!

:thumbsup:

Hello

And welcome mate. Great choice in car you missus has brought. She will really enjoy the car. I have recently brought a tubby myself and i dont get to drive it that often as i work quite near to home :crybaby: But everytime i get into the car i always have a big smile on my face as it's a fantastic car to drive. Fast and looks so cool. Even still it's 12 years old enjoy buddy :yes:

jerry!!

Best piece of advice I could give is to make sure you have decent tyres on it...

It makes such a difference it's unreal ;D

nice ride fella, and gorgeous rims - you and your missus should be proud.

welcome aboard :thumbsup:

my tips (some already mentioned)

1. good tyres! - ive never known a car that demands quality tyres this much before, cheap or bald and your in trouble - get used to spending.

2. steady round corners and in the wet.

3. if you aint got a turbo timer get used to sitting in the car for 30 secs to 2 mins after a blat - depending how long and hard you drove it. (people look at me gone out - especially in petrol stations)!

4. dont park near crap cars in car parks - you may get dented.

5. get used to admiring glances.

6. get ready for crappy saxo's etc trying to have a pop.

7. when people call you a hairdresser or you get sniggering looks from :censor: in mercs or bimmers - blow them away! :D

Ta for all the tips guys and gals!

Tyres. Got new Falken's all round, on 17" rims. 215/45's at the front, and 235/45's at the back (if I remember right). Seem to be good rubber... :thumbsup:

Turbo timer. Got one of those fitted already.

Saxo's etc. Already had fun blowing various %$(wits off! :D

Admiring glances. Getting plenty of those. The missus is well chuffed!

Parking. The missus is now getting used to parking a bit more sensibly, and away from other people.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links