Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand New To Owning An Mr2 Turbo

markfla1

Hi all, I am the proud new owner of a 1992 J REG TOYOTA MR2 2.0 GTS TWIN ENTRY TURBO :D

I wanted to get one so that I could change to body to become a 355 replica. But that was before I recently saw the fantastic body kits that are available for the MR2.

I fancy the veilside one.

I intend now to put that on and then get 18" on it and paint in the brightest colour I can find. I reckon I will then be more noticed than any of the 355 brigade :thumbsup:

When I put the 18" wheels on will I need spacers and are these easy to get?

Also although there is a turbo I will want to play a little in that department, so what do you all recommend?

I could go on for ever, but I will keep you all posted, by the way all this excitment and its still 4 days untill I actually take delivery of it, carn't wait B)

cheers mark

I am going Mr2 bodykit route, so watch this space.

loads of new tubby owners!.. :yes:

If you got the 355 kit that would be your choice.. but dont expect many MR2 owners to appreciate your work.. :lol:

Welcome to the club... :thumbsup:

not a fan of veilside .. too rice, only thing worse is a 355 kit - but that's your choice ..

18" will fit, just get the right offset (or buy mine :) )

Hi all, I am the proud new owner of a 1992 J REG TOYOTA MR2 2.0 GTS TWIN ENTRY TURBO :D

I wanted to get one so that I could change to body to become a 355 replica. But that was before I recently saw the fantastic body kits that are available for the MR2.

I fancy the veilside one.

I intend now to put that on and then get 18" on it and paint in the brightest colour I can find. I reckon I will then be more noticed than any of the 355 brigade :thumbsup:

When I put the 18" wheels on will I need spacers and are these easy to get?

Also although there is a turbo I will want to play a little in that department, so what do you all recommend?

I could go on for ever, but I will keep you all posted, by the way all this excitment and its still 4 days untill I actually take delivery of it, carn't wait B)

cheers mark

umm??^^ yah.. we saw that in the first post.. anyways, the diameter of the wheel doesnt determine if u need spacers or not. it's the offset. it also depends on the suspension u are goin to run.

welcome to the club dude. im often in burton, you might have seen either my old ride

2.jpg

or my current one floating about

PIC_0227.jpg

i had 18's on my old ride and they fitted no probs, so long as you had a 35 profile on front and rear and max width of 215 on the front.

I'd say the first thing to do is to make sure it's running ok, get it checked over. Treat it to some new bits and bobs, oil & filter change, spark plugs dizzy etc. Most important is to get used to it, It'll probably scare the c**p out of you when you first drive it.

Joe

Right now I'm loving the look of the entire Border bodykit range.

1865017.jpg

Clicky

I wouldn't go for Veilside to be honest, it's become too over-done and a bit old hat in my opinion.

:thumbsup:

Right now I'm loving the look of the entire Border bodykit range.

I wouldn't go for Veilside to be honest, it's become too over-done and a bit old hat in my opinion.

:thumbsup:

Was saying the same thing to a fellow MR2 owner last night...if i was to buy a kit.. it would have to be the border.. :yes::thumbsup:

im chattin about the whole kit mate.. not just a bumper.. lol

I just orderd a full border kit...awaiting delivery now !!

I was bored of seeing every 2 near me either stock or veilside !

Well it must be a first for TOC, a full Border kit, you really need to buy a Border Carbon Fiber bonnet to go with it you know!

God stuff! Just out of interest where did you order in from?

I think the kit looks great, I just hope it doesn't become too popular that loads of shoddy real cheap copys begin to flood the market.

I have to add 2p.....

How could anyone really fancy putting a Ferrari kit of any description on a 2 :D :D Be better off buying a Nova...

There are so many kits available for the 2 that it's almost hard making your mind up which to get lol...

Well it must be a first for TOC, a full Border kit, you really need to buy a Border Carbon Fiber bonnet to go with it you know!

Yeah.. i like them as well, seen em on eBay for like £350-£400 which aint bad !! :D

God stuff! Just out of interest where did you order in from?

I think the kit looks great, I just hope it doesn't become too popular that loads of shoddy real cheap copys begin to flood the market.

Ordered from some site that imports them from The US, so probably got a big lead time on the kit (cant remeber the site off hand, will look for details at home !!)

Ill let you know what quality is like, and post pics when it arives ! :D

cheers :thumbsup: (cant wait for it to get her now !!!)

Sticking with a full kit isnt good, you need to mix and match!

Every one on mhere is Stock....Veilside or mix and match...mainly Border / Toms / Veilside ;)

why not have a full kit no one else does !!!

and i like it !! :D

my 2p, with mediocre wit and my usual sarcasm, mixed with technical information and perfect clarity of truth and wisdom...

and i dont have a Mr Two, but do have 2 series 2 3sgte set ups, one in a car and one being built for another car - and granted both All Wheel Drive....

in my humble opinion, buying a car like that to the whack an outragous body kit on and a big collour change is soooooooo ricey, it makes me wanna laugh and point at the meets, but i refrain, because if i fall over from laughing, I may cause myself another ruptured kidney and I dont wanna have to defend myself against pale sweaty palmed chav's :lol:

(angel on the left shoulder says - now now me, play nice, as its your first post in the Mr Two section, make friends not enemies....... but devil on the left shoulder say - nah, give em yer best ya mad heeeed)

but of course, if you wanna be 'individual innit' then go ahead, and I understand your exceitement - but lets consider the real world....

The 3SGTE is WRC proven, it dominated the nineties, its a cracking power lump, If I was buying my first Mr Two with a tubby, I would first;

1. Learn to drive it, properly and forget the hype

2. Research power gains

3. Modify the handling and the brakes

4. Modify and uprate the engine to at least 320 BHP

5. Buy new wheels but with wheels that will not negate the handling charcteristics

6. apply 'modest' cosmetic enhancements and keep it old skool, keep it real and enjoy it as intended.

I wouldnt weigh it down with unecssary fibre glass panels and stickers from Halfords, i wouldnt throw even more paint on it making it heavier.

But, people are different and some dont appreciate the history of the developements that went into engine or the car, and now that its discontinued they should be kept stock looking and be sleepers to prove thet are engineered and designed well, or dont appreciate its abilities and just want it to 'look' fast, and by the time it looks fast, the engine is broken because they havent had money for real modifcations and have done ricey engine mods that take the set up beyond it's range of thermal efficiency and destroy a good car.

How many gen 1 mr2's do you see for sale covered in rice? havent they all been broken up to use as spares on the 'good' ones that look stock?

Of course, i'm not suggesting that is your intention or insinuating that that is what others on this forum have done, i'm just expressing my dissapointment, because those engines that do end up stuffed would make great donors for GT4's, and could be used properly :lol::wink:

just jesting...

So - to recap, race not rice, bling not blong, tune not tack and keep it looking fairly stock - a lairy tubby looks daft, unless it is a full blown monty show car and is done so properly, that your bankrupt.

cheers

(now come into the celica forum and give us some abuse :wink: )

wheres the individuality in driving stock? the right bodykit on a 2 enhaces the look, and theres plenty of modded mk1s for sale but times move on and what looked good then doesnt look so hot now, they are at least 15 years old!

but i agree with 1-5 of your 6 point plan, whats the point in spending a fortune gettin the car modded then wrappin it round a post cos you never took the time to learn the cars characteristics

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links