Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Near Miss!

MSC_Kev

Well, today I nearly had the front end of my Corolla restyled due to some complete incompetence of another driver!

Some of you will know this road as I'm sure Em (DA) will do, I was travelling home on the A447 from Hinckley towards Market Bosworth, passing the Woodlands Nursery when a Renault Laguna begins to brake heavily at the entrance to the nursery, which alerted me straight away, what happened next was so quick!

I hit the brakes hard with a few :censor: :censor: along the way :ffs: , being about 2 car lengths back, to suddenly before my eyes in what felt like milliseconds, the Laguna slide into the side of a car pulling out of the Nursey that hadn't bothered to look what was coming! I managed to pull up with the ABS kicking in from what I think was about 60-0 in about 30 feet.

I got out to see if everyone was ok, first checked the Fiesta that had pulled out on us being a side impact, they where reasonably ok, just shaken up and the driver's leg was badly bruised but other then that ok. The car took the impact quite well from such a hard impact. The Laguna driver was a bit badly bruised, air bag had gone off and was in shock! I then looked at my car and realised I had pulled up with about an inch to spare!!!!

Let's just say I have complete faith in my brakes and thank god I uprated them with both discs and pads, the ABS worked as it should which I was very thankful for!! It didn't really sink in until afterwards how close I was to totally the front of my car and what could of happened!!

One relieved Kev!

good brakes and good tyres

the only things that will stop you dieing!

abs is a god send. 0-60 in my gt4 takes a few yards , pure toyota quality with the brakes of an hgv.

Yeah I know there well Kev.... its not far from me!

Dont you just love ABS! Glad that both you and your car are ok - and no one was seriously hurt!

:group-cuddles:

Well the brakes certainly worked well, the car pulled up straight all be it as I moved over to the right thinking I wouldn't stop in time, which thank god I did!!!!

I have AVON ZZR tyres which in fact I think are crap, but they did grip well on this occassion, which I was thankful for.

I just realised how much my shoulder now hurts, even have a slight impression on my shoulder of the seat belt!!

Kev :)

good brakes and good tyres

the only things that will stop you dieing!

the only things you shouldnt skimp on

totally agree! I always buy Michelin, GoodYear, Dunlop or Conti.

looks like you got away with it kev.

thought you might be interested in the following:

if like you say you went from 60 - 0 in 30ft.

you pulled 3.5g deceleration.

your brakes dissipated about 180kW of energy when you were stopping. thats the same as 60 eletric heaters or 6 times the power output of most central heating boilers.

yes i know that road too,

glad you got away with it kev you dont wanna be going to barwell just yet do you :o

ABS is a must have aint it.

Think I know that road....

Glad to hear you're alrite mate.

Hope those involved recover too.

I wish I had disk brakes all round in my little yaris...

My breaks are rubbish!!!

Ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit and braided hoses today, I have alsoredy upraded the disks and pads, and put in brand new caliper seals......

Sounds strange, but I've never been keen on ABS equipped cars, think its from years of riding bikes but I prefer to know I'm in control and not relying on a sensor that can fail. I know the advantages as you've proved I think I'm just stuck in my ways :D

My breaks are rubbish!!!

Ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit and braided hoses today, I have alsoredy upraded the disks and pads, and put in brand new caliper seals......

Never got why people say breaks instead of brakes

you should still get yourself to hospital for a checkup, you can still get whiplash without there being a collision!

My breaks are rubbish!!!

Never got why people say breaks instead of brakes

How strange, that usually a pet hate of mine too!!! I was being nagged to do something at the time so I was trying to post as quick as poss!!

I also don't like ABS.. the fastest car I ever owned (saorer TT) had no ABS (2 years of driving it every day in every weather), my black supra TT has no ABS (had that for ages now), nor did the MR2 (that thing stopped WELL!) My current supra does have it.. it always seems to kick in too early for me :(

My issue with ABS is that people today learn to drive with ABS, where's the skill in an emergency stop if you have ABS??? BTW, I'm not THAT old either, only 31.

Surely it's like learning in an automatic? I think you shouldn't be allowed to drive a car without ABS unless you passed your test in one without ABS.

In my test the examiner took me to a road that had just been resurfaced and had LOADS of loose gravel on it. What a git!

Passed though.

Mike.

not a huge fan of abs when having a good drive but its for the people who arent such keen drivers i spose it helps then quite alot

If I had ABS in my minor crash a few months back, I wouldn't have crashed! ABS is a good thing imo! :thumbsup:

My wheels locked up and I spun 180 degrees btw.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links