Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starter Motor ...sticking..

nurd needing help

:ffs: the starter motor sticks on our corolla 1993 ,but where abouts do i need to knock it to un jam it ....my missis said the mechanic lent over the engine and hit it somewhere under the engine...it needs greasing we were told..i dont have a manual.......thanks

Solenoid is on the starter motor normally.Another way of freeing the starter that often works is to put the car in top gear then rock it backwards and forwards.

You tap the starter on the pre-engage solenoid, it looks like a small cylinder attached to it.

This is only a temporary measure because nine times out of ten the starter is on its way out.

Grease is not a good idea either because the dust that builds up in the bell housing makes it ten times worse.

Putting it in gear can sometimes free it, this stems from the old bendix type starters that used centrefugal force to engage the gear, even then you never used grease, it was always better to use a bit of french chalk powder :thumbsup:

Thisn has been cropping up a lot recently on mkiii supras.. and in our case was neither the starter, or the solenoid, it was the wire the clicks the solenoid... for some reason it was getting a high resistant, so the solenoid plunger moves, but not enough to start the thing... (hence click click).

I think the cause was isially the starter inhibitors on alarm relays... I fixed mine with a simple 20a relay and a bit of wire...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links