Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing Speed Limits?

stevetubbyturbo

Can anyone shed some light on towing speeds

My boat trailer is not Braked as it is under the weight for requiring a braked trailer.

I know i cant use the overtaking lane of a motorway.

But i dont know the max speed limit for towing a unbraked trailer as i heard mix reports some saying 60mph some saying 50mph and ive managed to keep my licence clean for 13 years and dont want to collect points from not knowing the law.

Cheers

Steve

The speed limit for cars, motorbikes, light goods vehicles and buses and coaches less than 12m long on motorways is 70mph;

The speed limit for vehicles towing a caravan or trailer, HGVs, articulated lorries and buses or coaches over 12m long on motorways is 60mph.

:thumbsup:

Got it from THIS Site ;)

Just found this site it seems to say that

A car towing on a dual carraige way / motorway is 60mph

A car towing on a single carraige way is 50 mph

http://www.safe2travel.co.uk/speeding/speed_limits.pdf

but there seems to be so much confliting information its difficult to know whats correct.

I know you have an answer, but here it is again from the Highway Code site.

It's interesting to see HGV's are limited to 60mph, so why do I get overtaken by HGV's if I stick to the limit (especially considering they are supposed to have limiters fitted).

nottinghamshire police stopped my cousin on the motorway, and told her that she was going too slow and should be traveling at 80 90 mph with the flow of the traffic. when she told them that there was no way she was traveling at 90 mph when the speed limit is 60, with a horsebox and two full grown horses she got a warning..........................justice eh?

It's interesting to see HGV's are limited to 60mph, so why do I get overtaken by HGV's if I stick to the limit (especially considering they are supposed to have limiters fitted).

Not sure but ive heard rumors that that limiter can be removed fairly easily which is highly illegal but ive seen trucks doing over 70mph too

not all trucks have limiters. Most do and any proper UK businesses have to and they are usually set at 56mph or thereabouts.

Lots of them can be disabled by taking out a fuse, the older ones had a "feature" which disabled the limiter when the clutch was pressed. Drivers worked out that if they pressed the clutch a little bit the limiter was disabled

7.5 tonners aren't fitted with the 90kph limiters and have a different set of speed limits to larger goods vehicles - some of them can fairly nip on...

In Ireland trucks don't have speed limiters, so they don't tend to hold back either and trucks built/registered before a certain aren't required to have one either

:thumbsup:

A

ALL HGV's over 7.5 tons are restricted to 90KPH or 56 MPH by use of a speed limiter, these are set to fine tollerence they are checked on every MOT and can even be done on a roadside ministry inspection, if any pass you doing 65MPH or over, they have illegaly disconnected the limiter and want putting up against a wall and shooting.

If you're behind one and he seems to be doing 60MPH I would say that it's more than likely down to the speedo setting on the car (mine's 3MPH out at 60)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links