Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Copyrighting!

Chuck04

mate of mine has an invention he wants to get copyrighted, any of you know how he would go about doing this, he wants to get going with it, and needs help as hes designed it specifically for a company but doesnt want them stealing his idea...

cheers for any help :thumbsup:

Is it a copyright or a patent he's after?

If it's an invention surely he'd want to patent it. I'm not in the invention game so I'm not sure of the correct way to go about it, but I would guess the patent office would be a good place to start.

could be right there never thought about it before as ive never invented somthing haha

I've just had a look and This is the place you could start.

It looks like they are responsible for copyright as well, so either way go here and have a look around.

And don't forget that you'll need to apply for patents worldwide to fully protect your idea.

Good luck on a world wide patent.

I tried it years ago and the cost is phenominal! :eek: (didn't go ahead with it)

Even doing just a UK patent is expensive. :help:

Don't bother going to these "If you have a good idea, contact us" places either, it still works out mega expensive, you take the risk and they *cough* "help" (Yeah right!!) :rolleyes:

If it is a potential money maker though, do get some solid advice and try and get backing. :thumbsup:

a sort of reassuring idea asset

has the 'invention' got some engineering drawings, test data, progress and development reports?

if so get them copied and then post them to your own home under recodred delivery but never open them

on that youll have a time and date stamped official copy of any documents regarding the gizmo

a sort of reassuring idea asset

has the 'invention' got some engineering drawings, test data, progress and development reports?

if so get them copied and then post them to your own home under recodred delivery but never open them

on that youll have a time and date stamped official copy of any documents regarding the gizmo

Only thing with that, is that it is still open to be ripped off if no patent is applied for.

All they have to do is change whatever it is in some minor way (add an extra bolt here or panel there), it would be exactly the same but different ;)

Send whatever it is to me and I promise I won't rip it off! :rolleyes:

Patenting in the UK will cost in the region of £10k...

I've done it  :thumbsup:

Add a little more for worldwide. ;)

I have good advice from a patents expert I was speaking to at a university of technology recently, which produces the occasional patented invention. You need major backing from a big company with lots of money -- firstly to get the patent through in the first place, but most importantly because being right doesn’t mean you win. You can’t go it alone or in minor company.

Essentially, if you don’t have a mega company to back you, another mega company will take your idea, use it, profit from it and welcome you to raise the necessary millions to pursue the matter through court and through the years. It’s all about profitable business, not righteousness. In fact, this expert’s exact description of a patent was toilet paper if you don’t have major backing.

It’s a cruel and unjust world… :!Removed!:

Get your idea written down on paper.. take as many photo's as possible,.. get as many witnesses as possible.. infact, get as much info about uyour invention as you can on paper.. date it, seal it.. and post it tp yourself.. if someone steals your idea, you have proof it was yours and when you had it.. just don't open the envelope/package wen it gets delivered.

Get your idea written down on paper.. take as many photo's as possible,.. get as many witnesses as possible.. infact, get as much info about uyour invention as you can  on paper.. date it, seal it.. and post it tp yourself.. if someone steals your idea, you have proof it was yours and when you had it.. just don't open the envelope/package wen it gets delivered.

Dejavu! :rolleyes::lol:

I KNEW you were gonna say that :eek: :P

Patenting in the UK will cost in the region of £10k...

And how much does it cost to defend it when somebody tries to copy your idea! :eek:

Paul.

We had a workshop on patenting at work a couple of months a go.

Some of the key points I can remember were:

If he was working for them when he invented it (ie in work time) then it is their invention rather than his.

It costs loads to Patent something and don't do it if you know you will get into a disagreement with a big company cause a big company usally always wins :(

If you do a UK patent be aware that you have to publish all designs etc before the patent goes through. This lets anyone else outside of you patent area copy the design and sell it outside of the patent area (ie China Hong Kong etc) Also it lets anyone within the UK copy your idea for about a year or so until your patent gets accepted (ie patent pending) then once your patent has been accepted you can then pay solicitors to fight the companies that copied you (if it's worth it)

There are lots of business support agencys backed by government funding, these are ideal and will give you lots of helpful advice and sometimes money (usually matched funding ie. You spend 5 grand they spend 5 grand etc) There is one in the office next door to me but they only do the local area. :thumbsup:

Almost forgot - the envelope in the post thing isn't exactly credited now :(

too many people were sending themselves unsealed envelopes - Think about it if that theory worked all you would do is get a nice Security/ Tamper proof Jiffy bag, write your name and address on it and send it to yourself without sealing it. Then keep it safe - A few years later someone invents the next Dyson you copy the designs stick them in your envelope and seal it - Bobs Your Uncle your in court sueing the real inventor :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links