Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Some Input Re: A '96 Camry

sdaly

Hello All,

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry LE (V4) with 123,000 miles on it. It was involved in a major accident in 2001, but was fully repaired by the dealer and has been reliable.

I recently noticed that the engine was running a bit rough at idle, so I took it in to a local (reputable!) garage. They gave the car a once over and found a LOT of work that needs to be done (some of it being regular maintenance due to wear and tear, etc.) --- to the tune of ~$3,300. The "big ticket items": the timing belt needs to be replaced, the rear struts have to be replaced, the front left axle needs to be replaced...and then are a couple smaller things, as well as regular "30,000 mile" maintenance stuff like fluids being flushed, etc.

My wife and I bought a new car for her about three months ago, so I'd hoped to drive the Camry for at least a couple more years before having to worry about replacing it....but the high price tag of this work means I have a tough decision to make.

Can anyone weigh in with any info as to how long I could realistically expect this car to last (assuming I get the work done on it)?? If there's a good chance I'll get another 50,000 miles/couple years out of this car, then I'll feel alright about paying the $3,300. Otherwise, it seems like I might be better off putting that money toward a new car of some kind...

Input is appreciated!!!

Thanks,

-Skip Daly

Germantown, MD

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links