Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Rear Door

dirtrunner

Has anyone come across hinges / modifications that would allow the rear door to open at least a full 90 degrees?

I think the car is great except for this, oh and the rear parcel shelf hitting you on the nogin!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Has anyone come across hinges / modifications  that would allow the rear door to open at least a full 90 degrees?

I think the car is great except for this, oh and the rear parcel shelf hitting you on the nogin!

Anyone got any suggestions?

There is loads of info on here about the modification (basically a US or European door stay which can only be got from there, or via UK "suppliers - but not Toyota)

Do a Search on rear door opening and all shall be revealed!!

Many thanks to 'BelgarumVenta' for pointing me in the right direction.

As you can tell I am new to the TOC, but not new to the RAV.

Now I have sussed how to search, you guys are great - loads of useful and handy modifications.

BTW I have a petrol Rav, and discovered it guzzled fuel for the first 25k miles (24mpg), it has just decided to give me somewhere near the stated (30Mpg) MPG, is this normal?

There is a guy on here that sells the mod at a very good price. If you wait a while I am sure he will post!!

Its called a "Check Assembly,Back Door"...part number use to be 68650-42040 ,check with your dealer first B) .:

There is a guy on here that sells the mod at a very good price. If you wait a while I am sure he will post!!

the guy you need to speak to is "sparkdog" aka Brian Taylor. He supplied me with one for my 5dr Rav4 - what a huge difference it makes. Checkout my page of mods: http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4

Cheers,

Phil

Brian got me mine too - great guy to deal with - think he was selling up - are you still around Sparkydog ? :(

Brian got me mine too - great guy to deal with - think he was selling up - are you still around Sparkydog ?  :(

he is still about - he got me mine 10days ago.

presume if you do a search he will show up somewhere.

phil.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian got me mine too - great guy to deal with - think he was selling up - are you still around Sparkydog ?  :(

Can't find any directions to Sparkydog on this forum, any chance you can tell me how you got yours Pips? :thumbsup:

Guys, you can buy it from your main dealer, part number use to be 68650-42040 , or contact club member Chris.S, he works for Lexus/Toyota :) .

Can't find any directions to Sparkydog on this forum, any chance you can tell me how you got yours Pips? :thumbsup:

I got mine through Brian Taylor (sparkydog) for £62 - i just did a search for sparkydog and then sent him a PM. His email address is: sparkydog@fsmail.net

• 4 weeks later...

i've had a busy first day on the forum. this is the topic that started me off looking.

i tried my local toyota dealer (curtis ballymena) quoting the 68650-42040 reference number mentioned in previous postings

they can get the part in a couple of days @ £62.50 so i've ordered it up

i'll post again when i get it - so far so straight forward

Welcome to the TOC , Fixer :) , hope you are enjoying the Rav4 section :thumbsup:

thanks for the welcome bob - latest is that i got some feedback from sparkydog. he can get me the strut quicker than my dealer so i have sent him a cheque.

i'll post again when i get it fitted.

:) Great forum!

I joined today, was originally looking for info about rear parcel shelf/luggage cover which my recently acquired 2002 5dr seems to be missing, but now I am not sure I want one! I suspect the previous owner may have binned it after several attacks to the head!

Anyway, I knew about the restricted opening rear door before I got my RAV, but thanks to all your posts, I now know how to fix this, and will be browsing the posts for other fine advice.

Cheers,

Mal.

:) Great forum!

I joined today, was originally looking for info about rear parcel shelf/luggage cover which my recently acquired 2002 5dr  seems to be missing, but now I am not sure I want one! I suspect the previous owner may have binned it after several attacks to the head!

Anyway, I knew about the restricted opening rear door before I got my RAV, but thanks to all your posts, I now know how to fix this, and will be browsing the posts for other fine advice.

Cheers,

Mal.

Hi Mal, may i also welcome you to the TOC :thumbsup: .

Yes welcome! We need more people in the Rav4 forums!

I've got my Owners club sticker in the back window tryin to pull in business!

Yes welcome!  We need more people in the Rav4 forums!

I've got my Owners club sticker in the back window tryin to pull in business!

I've got the Silver and Gold club stickers ,on front and rear windows....maydo some good :yes: .

update:

Got my new and improved strut from sparkydog yesterday (many thanks :D )

fitted it last night in just 15mins - so it's that easy.

must get some reflectors for the door edge next and maybe some led's

then i have to stop fiddling around :wacko:

Check out Ultra LED's. Sell all sorts of replacement car LED's etc. Good service too. Am gonna change all my dashboard lights possibly.

Get yourself some of this, you can see it from the moon :D ...ok slight over the top statement :rolleyes: , but it is very good, i put some on my VW Transporter van, on the edges of the doors when open, its very good and very cheap on eBay .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-Scotchlite-983-Se...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi.

I posted earlier about the rear parcel shelf but now have another method to prevent sore heads.

Lift the shelf off the side supports and allow the flexible bit to retract towards the rear seat headrests.

Hinge the shelf vertically and it stays in place.

Hope this makes snese and helps to prevent any more injuries.

Cheers.

Roger Rav.

Hi.

I posted earlier about the rear parcel shelf but now have another method to prevent sore heads.

Lift the shelf off the side supports and allow the flexible bit to retract towards the rear seat headrests.

Hinge the shelf vertically and it stays in place.

Hope this makes snese and helps to prevent any more injuries.

Cheers.

Roger Rav.

spooky - i posted the same solution a few days ago - great minds eh! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links