Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Timer

PaulAndrews

Hi all.

Got what is probably a dumb@ss question, but I'll ask it anyway... :thumbsup:

The missus tubby came with a turbo timer. I'm just wondering about the proper way to use it. I can see the need when you've been out for a bit of a blat, but do you need to use it all the time??

e.g Do you have to use it when you've just been pottering around town?

The missus does nearly all her miles on the motorway, going to work and back. She tries to avoid boosting it, but will do 80ish most of the way. Should she leave it on timer after that sort of drive??

Ta

P

If you are having a boot then set it for about a minute..... if your driving normally set it to about 30 - 40 seconds....

This allows the 'blades' on the turbo to cool down to provent damage. i take the view. better safe than sorry! or a new turbo :)

Hope this helps

Tim :thumbsup:

Tim

ta for the speedy response! :thumbsup:

Had a bit of a scout around on earlier posts, and found that the turbo spins even when not on boost??

So that's why you need to stick it on timer, even if you've only gone to the shops??

P

no probs mate :thumbsup:

Yep i would.. because you would have got your turbo hot enough just on a little drive.

so if you don't let it cool down, you may get small bits of metal from the turbo blades going into you engine :eek: .... arrh the joys of owning a turbo :)

But atleast you have a turbo timer to start with! it shows that the old owner wanted to look after there MR2 :thumbsup:

I have blown two turbos...and they aint cheap !!

I use my turbo timer religously now, it is set to 30 seconds no matter what, and counts up more if im blasting it.....

Wait 30 seconds when you park while you sort your stereo etc......or pay like £700 or what ever for a new turbo !....i know what I do !!

Turbos run at stupid speeds, and get silly hot if you have been blasting the car. When i blew my second turbo (hammering it) the actual turbo Shell / snail was glowing red hot !!!!!..But that was extreme !!

but on an average blast, they still get warm, and the reason for a turbo timer is to keep the water and oil pumping round the turbo for a few mins to cool it.

Image what happens to the oil and water if you switch your engine off straight away...the oil (especialy water) can boil in the turbo !! the oil can coagulate in the feed pipe and cause them to get a smaller and smaller feed eventually starving the turbo of oil and it will blow !

I always run my car at less than 3k revs for the 1st 3 miles as a rule, and never, NEVER, hammer it till she is warmed up, and ALWAYS let her cool down properly.. then you turbo will last for ever, no matter how much you hammer it !

I see. Best let the missus know that she'd best use the timer all the time then! :eek:

Thanks for the replies all

P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links