Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Logo Issue

ThagsMR2

Hi Guys

I would just like to enquire on a point whether any othe Toyota clubs in the world have come across this issue .

I was recenlty instructed by TOYOTA SOUTH AFRICA that we could not use the Toyota Logo on our website www.twincamclub.co.za

due to copywrite laws etc.

If this true we can't even use the pictures of the cars since they contain the Toyota Logo as well.

Bit of a weird situation and feed back will be much appreciated.

Thanking You

Sounds like they are being excessively difficult to me!!!

What a way to treat is customers!!!

I'd be interested under what grounds you are meant to be breaching copyright though, after all your topic is Toyotas, thats like then saying my website can;t be called "suprasonic" as it has supra in it!

I think it relates only to things like the club or site banners as there is no official tie between the club/site and Toyota. It's the same reason TOC doesn't have Toyota Logos on any of our banners or stuff like that.

Toyota have their own club that has the Logo on it.

The company can't stop people taking photos of their cars and posting them on a forum though.

I'm sure Steve or Ken can shed much more light on the topic.

Thags, where abouts in Jo'burg are you? I used to live in Roodepoort, then Pretoria, then Yeoville (until I got tired of hearing the gunshots and finding half dead people on my driveway) then back to Roodepoort again until I moved to the UK 8 years ago. Are there any MKII MR2's in the country yet? I don't remember ever seeing any there when I was growing up. I remember a white MKI belonging to an ex's mum as it was the first two seater I ever went in and the first two seater I ever drove (back between '86 and '88 at a push). It started my fascination with the MR2 B)

The logos are copyright material so I'm guessing anyone who uses the logos is in breach of copyright? But TOC are ok because we have our own TOC logo which has nothing to to with Toyotas logo, the only thing is the Toyota name, but you cant copyright a name, else it would be a breach of copyright to say it, write it or whatever.

Toyota SA are being harsh, but as nothing to do with Toyota and in no way affliated with them, you have no right to use their logo without their express permission.

Cars are different, the cars themselves arent copyrighted - its just the Toyota brand that is.

Cars (design and engineering) are covered by copyright (ref: nice legal battles currently in China over Badge, engine and even car design) but the logo issue is misrepresentation.

For example, you buy a set of alloy wheels with the Toyota logo on. One fails and you wipe out a bus queue of school children.

If Toyota had made the wheel - or even subcontracted a supplier to make them for it- then it would be liable and have insurance to cover it (also insisting that the supplier has insurance to cover it) However, if the wheel maker had simply stuck the logo on with no approval then you'd be liable, assuming the wheel maker would be suddenly hard to find and/or unable to back up with insurance.

Worse, for Toyota, it would be assumed it was an official wheel and defending a liability claim, even if you prove it's not you, can be around £250,000. That's before we even get to the potential damage to the value of reputation.

And it need not be wheels; it could be caps, biros, anything. There was a case of a golf ball with a company logo on it going through the windscreen of a passing car. Guess who the driver tried to sue?

(There are also great cases of people sticking, er.., personal bits in where they ought not to, but that's a whole other story).

With use of the logo on websites, etc, (workshops) it is a matter of differentiating official sites and unofficial ones. It might seem hard handled, but why risk decades of good will and billions of dollars of investment in brand recognition with something looking to capitalise on what you’ve built up?

We recognise that sites such as TOC are about supporting the brand, but you cannot make exceptions.

Public knowledge, public domain. No need to worry about the Toyota Badge showing up in a photo.

But you are on dangerous and possibly damaging ground if you air the views of yourselves or your forum members against the logo backdrop. If a member posts in 'I hate !Removed!, !Removed! are great', Toyota certainly wouldn't wish to lend its logo as an endorsement. And as Toyota has no control over the content of your site... the company certainly isn't being unreasonable.

I'm sure you'll find support where appropritae and reasonable.

Hi Guys

I would just like to enquire on a point whether any othe Toyota clubs in the world have come across this issue .

I was recenlty instructed by TOYOTA SOUTH AFRICA that we could not use the Toyota Logo on our website www.twincamclub.co.za

due to copywrite laws etc.

If this true we can't even use the pictures of the cars since they contain the Toyota Logo as well.

Bit of a weird situation and feed back will be much appreciated.

Thanking You

Having just glanced at your site, maybe the issue is with you listing them as sponsors of your site.

Many companies don't mind free advertising but if people see Toyota sponsoring a fan site they may also ask for sponsorship and also Toyota may not be able to endorse the site without viewing its material first!

Hi Guys

I really appreciate your response regarding my query

1.To the gentleman that used to stay in SA I stay in Wendywood, Sandton and drivea red MK1 MR2 that was in SNS magazine had a 5 pg writeup.

2.As chairman I have moved The twincamclub under TSA (Toyota South Africa)

As they do sponser a lot of our events and have done so for the club from the late 80's. Example of sponserships are performance track events, and we host all our club meetings at their head office on a monthly basis.

Slightly strange with the logo issue , but do not want to infringe on a good existing partnership.

Thanks a again for your feed back :thumbsup:

Thanking You

To put it plainly: Toyota SA is vol stront.

Nah mate... Toyota Main dealers is vol stront - klomp kak! Maar die motors is iets anders.

Scuse the kaans... It's been 8 years and I was never any good at writing it either :P :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links