Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Punctured Tyre.

Uncle Bob

Question for you guys, i've bought a 2nd hand RAV4 from a Toyota dealer, when walking round the car i comment on the spare tyre having a punture, i'm told by the salesman that this will be looked at on the sales inspection.

I take delivery of the vehicle last wednesday, and over the weekend i've checked the oil and looked at the tyre pressures....and guess what ,the spare tyre still has a punture :angry: .

Now thats not the end of it, i take out the spare tyre ,pump it up, and check for a leak using soapy water, just to find the puncture is in the sidewall of the tyre, so that means any puncture in a sidewall is not repairable, is the dealer liable for the cost of replacing the tyre free of charge.....your thoughts please ;)

I'd say yes, because they sold it to you telling you it would be sorted and it wasnt! What if you'd have gotten a puncture on one of your normal tyres today, pulled over, replaced with your spare - only to find your spare is punctured too.....

I'd go back to Toyota and ask them to replace it - citing the scenario above, as for all you knew at the point of sale, that tyre was puncture-free after they had promised you it would be!

Isn't it illegal to have a spare that is not in usable condition? If so, the garage have technically broken the law surely. Yes they should issue another as the car was sold with a spare. They were made aware of the puncture but didn't rectify it, allowing you to drive away. Naughty.

I don't think you even have to have a spare so I have to disagree and say they are not liable and don't HAVE to change it.

Having said that I would have thought they would change it straight away if you pop down and make a bit of fuss :thumbsup: just to keep a good image

i comment on the spare tyre having  a punture, i'm told by the salesman ,that this will be looked at on the sales inspection.

Well it seems they did 'look' at it.... and left it...

Did they say they 'change' it?

i comment on the spare tyre having  a punture, i'm told by the salesman ,that this will be looked at on the sales inspection.

Well it seems they did 'look' at it.... and left it...

Did they say they 'change' it?

The saleman said ,it would be fixed ( but only verbally ):angry:

I would be asking for a new tyre.. even a good quality 2nd hand tyre (as long as it was safe), you are RIGHT in saying that punctures on a sidewall are NOT repaiable, to repair them is illeagle (and highly unsafe.. even with a tube (you CAN'T tube tyres below 60's profile)).

As for a spare wheel itself, it's NOT a legal requirement to carry a spare wheel in the UK, and as such, does NOT come nto the MOT whatever it's condition, but.. obviously, it's more sensible to have your spare in good condition.

I don't think you even have to have a spare so I have to disagree and say they are not liable and don't HAVE to change it.

Having said that I would have thought they would change it straight away if you pop down and make a bit of fuss :thumbsup:  just to keep a good image

You're quite right Sotal, but if there is a spare tyre it must be roadworthy.

Go back and get it done Bob!

A

It must be roadworthy only if you are putting it on the car.. not a legal requirement for MOT, and no mention of it in the MOT documentation. So a spare wheel does not have to be roadworthy, but as the 4 wheels on the car MUST be, then IF the spare is going on then car, then it must be too.

I had the same thoing with buying my supra... I had agreed to takle it, etc, and the guy clocked the curb, tiny wheel blemish on an otherwise perfect set of five alloys, adna dead tyre... he said a new one was on order but I never saw a trace of it... that was £130 extra right from the start :(

This post is (tragically) another typical example in the UK these days of how a used approved car (even from a franchise dealer) sold by a dealer is never prepared correctly, plus an example of how the salesman will just say 'fine', 'yes' and 'certainly' to everything you say or point out then not bother afterwards. :ffs:

Well i contacted the dealer today ( sleeves rolled up, expecting a row) and the top sales manager apologised, and said he would look into the matter .....phoned back with half and hour, they will fit a new Bridgstone tyre on wednesday, and fill my fuel tank up for my trouble.

So sort of happy, but should it of happened in the first place......NO ;) .

Thats a good outcome , i would be happy with that :) - some places would argue it to the death just to get out of it <_<

Thats a good outcome , i would be happy with that :) - some places would argue it to the death just to get out of it  <_<

Yes, the more time i've had to think about it, it was a good outcome :)

Bob - glad it is being sorted - mine had a used spare when I looked at it before buying - didn't give it a second thought at the time but was surprised to see a brand new spare on when I picked it up - ask sale guy and he just said it had a slow puncture so they fitted a new one rather than fixing it - well chuffed :thumbsup:

Shame your dealer didn't have same attitude. :ffs:

Guess that a thumbs up for Kings in Southampton from me then :P

This topic has made me realise I have never even looked at my spare wheel - to be honest I don't even know if there is one there! When I picked up the car it had a spare set of brand new mats in the boot as well as the ones that were in the car (they're still there and haven't moved yet!!)

I think I'll have a look tonight!!

This topic has made me realise I have never even looked at my spare wheel - to be honest I don't even know if there is one there! When I picked up the car it had a spare set of brand new Mats in the boot as well as the ones that were in the car (they're still there and haven't moved yet!!)

I think I'll have a look tonight!!

Funny old thing a spare wheel, its "out of sight,out of mind", but when you find you need its,its the most important thing in the world (well other than the jack and wheel brace :lol::lol: ).

A lot of people don't like the idea of a "space saver" spare wheel, myself included.. but, it does have one good point, if you get a puncture and put it on the car, you are going to get the puncture fixed as soon as you can, it's amazing the amount of people who fit their spare wheel (full size one) then forget about the punctured one in the boot, then get stuck by the roadside with another puncture.

Glad you got it sorted without any hassle. OK, they forgot, which they shouldn't have but at least they put it right.

As for the spare wheel... Alan got it right. It is perfectly OK to not have a spare but if you do have one, the tyre must be legal. It may not be part of the MOT but carrying an unfit spare is something you could get done for as there is an implication that you would fit it in the event of a puncture.

Well i had the new Bridgestone fitted today, also got the tank filled up and a set of front and rear wiper blade refills :) , so a happy ending.:D .

• 2 months later...
Question for you guys, i've bought a 2nd hand RAV4  from a Toyota dealer, when walking round the car i comment on the spare tyre having  a punture, i'm told by the salesman that this will be looked at on the sales inspection.

I take delivery of the vehicle last wednesday, and over the weekend i've checked the oil and looked at the tyre pressures....and guess what ,the spare tyre still has a punture :angry: .

Now thats not the end of it, i take out the spare tyre ,pump it up, and check for a leak using soapy water, just to find the puncture is in the sidewall of the tyre, so that means any puncture in a sidewall is not repairable, is the dealer liable for the cost of replacing the tyre free of charge.....your thoughts please ;)

Don't feel to bad, I purchased a new Rav 4 which I am delighted with, I was extra pleased with it's tough image, I have been driving 35yrs and fortunatly never had a puncture!!

The first day I took it on the road guess what!! Yes a side wall puncture, I shopped around and got an exact brand new 15inch tyre for £83.

If I was you trying to get money out of a trader is more agro than £83 plus you might have to go back for a real problem, and that could open a tin of worms!!!! :ffs:

Question for you guys, i've bought a 2nd hand RAV4  from a Toyota dealer, when walking round the car i comment on the spare tyre having  a punture, i'm told by the salesman that this will be looked at on the sales inspection.

Don't feel to bad, I purchased a new Rav 4 which I am delighted with, I was extra pleased with it's tough image, I have been driving 35yrs and fortunatly never had a puncture!!

The first day I took it on the road guess what!! Yes a side wall puncture, I shopped around and got an exact brand new 15inch tyre for £83.

If I was you trying to get money out of a trader is more agro than £83 plus you might have to go back for a real problem, and that could open a tin of worms!!!! :ffs:

£83 :eek: bad luck,while i'm here....welcome to the TOC Gordon, hope you are enjoying your new Rav4 :) .

I dont think Toyota cares about the law, They cannot be bothered putting your car back together properly i.e not connecting the the earth to the Battery

Speculation based on ONE experience is not really justified is it?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links