Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Alternator Drowned In Oil..

Davey

The alternator on my other halfs car died last week, I gave it a squirt with good old WD40 and it came back to life, it was fine for about 50 miles then it became a private smoke machine!

Replaced it with a Mk2 supra item and all is good now but; the alternator seems to be in a stupid position right under the oil filer so is this a common problem? Also is there some kind of "drip guard" available?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Can't remember off the top of my head the position of the oil filter/Altenator on a MKII, but you shouldn't have oil dripping from the filter regardless. Actually you shouldn't have oil dripping from anywhere.

Get the leaks checked out by a professional and get them repaired. Leaking oil will mean a compromise on oil pressure = not good for engine = engine dies = ££££ :rolleyes:

The other issue is that if your cam cover is leaking it'll dump it on the alternator.

My first MR2 had a dodgy cambelt .. needed a new belt and alternator at the end of it.

oil "FILLER" :)

Previous owners must have spilled so much oil on the alternator is packed in.. The rocker gasket is fine as far as I can see :)

think its quite common for the alternator to be coverd in oil, mine was before it packed in on a very wet day and i've seen a few like it.

i'd say use a funnel when adding oil to the engine and clean any spills before they get that far down the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links