Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fyi

toyotainnascarin04

Schumacher Staying at Ferrari Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2003

RacingOne Report

Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher looked forward to more years of success with Ferrari's dream team on Monday after extending his contract to the end of 2006.

The 34-year-old German ruled out retirement and agreed to stay for two more years with Ferrari's 'family' who have helped him become the most successful driver in grand prix history.

Ferrari said sporting director Jean Todt, technical director Ross Brawn, chief designer Rory Byrne and engine director Paolo Martinelli had also extended their contracts to the end of 2006.

"I love my sport and I feel extremely comfortable with Ferrari," Schumacher, who also won two titles with Benetton, told his Web site.

"Everything spoke in favor of extending my contract to 2006. The fact that Jean Todt and the rest of the team leaders have also decided to stay until 2006 made my own decision even easier.

"To be able to work in such a team, with such good friends, and hopefully with a lot more success to come, is a great pleasure.

"We have exciting years ahead of us and I'm looking forward to the challenges to come. Ferrari has become something of a second family to me and I am proud of being able to remain in such wonderful company."

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said the team was motivated and strong.

"We have them for another three and a half years and I am very happy to be able to count on them," he said.

Schumacher is the most successful driver in Ferrari's history and took his third successive world title last year with six races to spare. He has a record 67 career wins.

The German has won three times this year and can regain the championship lead in Canada this weekend. He is currently four points behind McLaren's Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen in the championship.

Frenchman Todt has been at the helm of FIAT-owned Ferrari throughout their recent successes which include the past four constructors' titles.

Ferrari's other driver, Brazilian Rubens Barrichello, is contracted to the team until the end of the 2004 season. He was not mentioned in Monday's statement.

The announcement ended speculation about Schumacher's possible retirement.

The 34-year-old, who has two young children, has said that he wants to end his career with Ferrari and intends to continue for as long as he is having fun.

thanks to www.racingone.com

You this guy has done well but i really think that all drivers in f-1 could do just as good in a Ferrari as well. I think that he would be no where without such a good team. I mean put him in a toyota and he would struggle just as our drivers do. Put our drivers in a ferrari and i think they would have 5 or 6 tites and 50 wins. Just my thoughs.....Adam

I think the car is probably the main player in the F1 equation. I mean that what car you drive does matter as to how you perform in a race. Saying that, just because you drive Ferrari doesn't mean you will win world titles.

I still believe there are only a few of the drivers who pound for pound could cut the mustard. Look at Scumacher in various driving conditions, he excels in the wet and you can't stop him in the dry. But put him in a lesser drive and he would struggle to win races but only because of the cars inferiority to Ferrari.

It would be nice to see everything a little more evenly matched so the drivers true skill shines through.

But put him in a lesser drive and he would struggle to win races but only because of the cars inferiority to Ferrari.

It would be nice to see everything a little more evenly matched so the drivers true skill shines through.

i agree whole hartedly, i used to be a big fan of F1, but now its just boring, the lesser teams dont get a look in nowadays.

the only reason ferrari are this good is because of the amount of money they can pour in to R&D and production.

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links