Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The Yaris The New Nova/saxo?

dawesy

I don't think comparisons to a Nova should be taken offensively. It too was in the small class, affordable category (insurance-wise, too), was popular and had great reliability -- as borne out by late-1980s AA statistics that could only fault the reliability of the wipers (as I remember).

No wonder cars like this are bought by the young and old. The in-betweeners who plump for a car like the Avensis (such as myself) may have a family to fit in, the years behind them to accumulate some cash, cheaper insurance and have not quite reached a level of dotage to necessitate the smallest of cars!

The Nova, like the Yaris, was rather nippy even in its 1.2 form for the day, and the 1.3 SR would do 0-60 in 9 seconds, being the retro equivalent of the T-Sport. So there you go, cheap on the road, reliable, nippy, options for something a litttle more sporty. Cars like the Nova and Yaris meet the needs of the young and old perfectly, not to mention the shopping-baggers -- and yes, body kits available and very much in evidence from those who have time for their pride and joys! They'll get over it -- and in the mean time, why not?

(I also remember reading that the Nova had problems selling in Mexico since no va means 'won't go' in Spanish)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tegan

• earpl

• seveer unaek

• Demonic Angel

Top Posters In This Topic

Skoda is an excellent example - I would buy a Skoda, as far as I'm concerned its just a VW with a different badge, however, I know Rich wouldn't touch a Skoda with a bargepole!

But that's not true. Sure, the engine is the same, but I've been in enough Skoda's to know the build quality isn't the same. And that's my problem with Skoda, not the image. I drove a 206 for 3 years and you think I have a hangup on what car I drive?? ;)

but I've been in enough Skoda's to know the build quality isn't the same.

No it isn't.... it's better.

Strap yourself into the new passat, then into the new Octavia or Superb and the Skod's are a good way ahead. VW have begun cost cutting... just like Mercedes did and have. The top model Skoda superb is only £21k.... that's with all the kit you can imagine, an excellent VAG engine, better build quality than most and there's more room than a van! Sod the Badge, that's a bargain.

Back on the Yaris subject... every car has an image... if you see a new mini being driven by a young student girl (usually pretty fine! :lol: ) you think it's daddy's car and she has no clue, just too muh money... then the same car with a young lad and his cap on and it's a chav car or a boy-racer machine. Every car has a different image dependent on the person behind the wheel and if the reason you dont buy a car is for a supposed lack of image or a bad image then im sorry, but you're a bit dumb really. Make a car into yours... make it have your image.

Just to throw in my 2 cents....

I dont actually think you can define a 'muppet' by certain cars...

Sure, we reference the Nova's and Corsa's, as this was the level of car a majority of muppets could afford.

With any car (including the MR2) once it becomes affordable to the type of people that bolt on Halfords Tat and drive like a looney around town centres, there is going to be a stigma - but you cannot pin it on anyone car...

As Rob said, at the end of the day, it comes down to the owner/driver, and now Yaris are more affordable - obviously they are becoming first cars, and some are falling into the hands of those that common sense forgot...

seveer unaek Posted Today, 10:43 AM

top model Skoda superb is only £21k

only, only, how can you say 'only' with regards to £21,OOO !

:eek::eek::eek:

I think he means in comparison with the VW top of the range equivalent model- that it would be cheaper - not that £21k is cheap by any standard! :)

I think he means in comparison with the VW top of the range equivalent model- that it would be cheaper - not that £21k is cheap by any standard! :)

everythings relative...

I wish my house was costing 21 grand...

Yes fidge i wish i could get a house for that too! - but when it comes to cars i wouldnt pay £21k for a skoda im sorry but im tight and i would expect a lot more for my money!

i payed £50,000 for 4 walls a roof. no windows or doors :(

the new skodas are great tegs, exactly the same as the passat & a4. just a different shape and badged differently. i think what your trying to say is you dont want the image of chav by driving a skoda :D :P

PMSL Not at all :D

If somebody were to give me one then certainly id drive it round no probs! :P (better than my leaking mr2!)

But as for spending my hard earned cash on one then no im afraid not - not when i could get a skyline or pearling supra for that much!

seveer unaek Posted Today, 10:43 AM

top model Skoda superb is only £21k

only, only, how can you say 'only' with regards to £21,OOO !

:eek::eek::eek:

I meant only as in only £21k compared to the equivalent from Audi and VW which is around the £30k mark for the same engine and spec.

No way am i saying £21k is cheap! I can barely afford a Yaris worth £5k!!

Sorry for the confusion!

Also agree with fidgits... this affordability thing is what's causing it an influx of more motors in muppets hands.

It's all because people have Giro's burning holes in their shellsuits! Everyone seems to have money these days... I walk down a street and apart from the odd homeless person, nobody is going without... the once 'poor' people of Britain are now gone... everyone's got money... just a shame that most of the money comes from the same place... hard-working middle-class folk... oh well nevermind!

I walk down a street and apart from the odd homeless person, nobody is going without... the once 'poor' people of Britain are now gone... everyone's got money... just a shame that most of the money comes from the same place... hard-working middle-class folk... oh well nevermind!

I think thats a bit of a sweeping generalisation :blink:

I dont think a £40 a week giro is enough to get you a yaris! never mind the insurance, tax,mot, petrol, service etc etc etc!

I know... but this is a topic of sweeping generalisation after all!

ahhh...

I can tell you where all the money has come from - you see my neighbours are perfect examples...

They bought their house 10 years ago for about £50k.

Its now worth £150k+

So, they re-morgage, after all, 4.5% interest rates mean borrowing is at the lowest.

They buy themselves a very nice car, and they also buy both their sons a very nice car as well..

and take a nice holiday, all while only paying an extra couple of hundred pounds a month on their morgage...

As a country, we are in the highest level of debt we have ever been, and as a nation, owe in the region of £6billion on morgages, loans and credit cards...

When most of us were growing up - we were brought up with the attitude, if you wanted something, you saved for it until you could afford to get it - if you could never afford it, you did without.

Nowadays, the attitude is, if you want something, buy it on credit and worry about paying for it later...

I bought my yaris because ive always liked the car! ex first had one and i loved that, then he got his ts and it was even better, darren got his ts and its fantabulous so it only seemed right that i have one, but i didnt want a ts i wanted a 1.3 so thats what i got! :D People tried to tell me to get a corsa or a banger and i simply wasnt interested, i wanted a yaris!! i dont think they are getting like novas just yet! Sure people have a daft bodykit on but its all down to personal choice!

i love my little Yaz, but if they all turn into novas and corsas hopefully ill still have her and be proud of what i drive! :thumbsup:

When most of us were growing up - we were brought up with the attitude, if you wanted something, you saved for it until you could afford to get it - if you could never afford it, you did without.

Nowadays, the attitude is, if you want something, buy it on credit and worry about paying for it later...

How sad is that? I mean we are a nation of debtors - I mean I'm not one to talk, I have debt and its horrible and I wish I could get rid of it before the term is up in all honesty and if I ever won any money, my debts would be the first thing I spent it on - its horrible knowing you have debt, but I'm not alone.

My parents only debt is their mortgage, and they only have like 2 years left to go on it anyway. They are the saving generation. My Dad hates credit cards, he hates any sort of card - he only got a debit card about 4 months ago! His first card ever! They have always saved for everything they've ever got - they dont understand why I have so much on credit..... and thinking of it, neither do I..... I guess its just the easy option.... buy now, pay later and all that.... :rolleyes:

ahhh...

I can tell you where all the money has come from - you see my neighbours are perfect examples...

They bought their house 10 years ago for about £50k.

Its now worth £150k+

So, they re-morgage, after all, 4.5% interest rates mean borrowing is at the lowest.

They buy themselves a very nice car, and they also buy both their sons a very nice car as well..

and take a nice holiday, all while only paying an extra couple of hundred pounds a month on their morgage...

As a country, we are in the highest level of debt we have ever been, and as a nation, owe in the region of £6billion on morgages, loans and credit cards...

i couldn't agree with you more there ian..... try telling our lass though. all i have is a £50,000 morgage and a £12000 loan. the morgage to buy the house, (48k) and 14k to do it up. ive had it for 2 years next door sold theres for £148,000 3 months ago. + house prices tend not to drop in national parks :D for example 5 years ago my parents sold our old house for £235,000. purchased the current one for £180,000 after 5 years and a good bit of work (yet still not finnished) the house has been valued at just over £800,000. hence i went against my belives that credit was bad and decided to get into the market at 20yo.

QUOTE(Fidgits @ Jul 28 2005, 12:23 PM)

ahhh...

I too have to agree but...

...because i'm a 'stuck in the old way git' I still only have something if I can afford it (I save until I can) if I can't afford it I do without.

Also I have to say most of my friends are of this same attitude as me :yes:

gotta agree with you if it wernt for credit i wouldnt have the rolla.

what gets me is though how can these kids afford it? i'm 33yrs old and the rolla costs me over £800 a year in insurance alone. i remember when i was about 18 thinking that £250 TPFT on a 1000cc mini was a lot. yes i can see that buying a newish car is easy for some of our young motorists, interest rates as they are but then to insure and spend litteraly thousands on mods, ICE etc leaves me puzzled.

i dont mean to sound like all cars should be left std, why i would be an hippocrit, but i dont like to see cars looking like somthing theyre not. i must admit that when i see cars in mags with big body kits, mechano spoiler etc and you get to the end to find that the engine is a std 1.1 it makes me think, why?

spose being young they cant afford to make engine mods but surly it must cost them a fortune to insure a heavily modded car like that

No I dont think they are the next nova/saxo YET as personally I think those cars are of a lower quality than the Yaris and also (well around here definately) more common and widespread than the Yarii. But as time goes on and their prices drop more they could well become the next Nova/Saxo.

We'll all find out one day I spose :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links