Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heya And Nooooooo!

Jinxed

hi .... ummm wondered if i could get a lil advice. just bought an mr2 turbo and all was good.... k it was actually great lol given the cars ive had before :rolleyes: . thing is... i went for a spin and noticed it kinda losin power whilst accelerating and then.... a little later i went over a couple of small bumps and got to some lights where all the power died off and i had to coast to side of road. car stalled out, wouldnt fire up again but was tryin and by time rac got to me, my Battery was totally flat.rac man says wrong Battery on it but... its started and run fine on for last 2 weeks when its been sporadically started and left to get warm. jus dunno what happened and this other guys scarin the livin brad pitt outa me by sayin he thinks its the ecu and they cost a grand :blink: . im an almost completely numpty car person and i dont have a good history with recent cars.... lol please no dont let this be another chapter in that story cos i got the thing to cheer maself up ....damn! Any help and suggestions is appreciated in advance and... heya all its nice to be with you all but kinda tragic for me under the circumstances lol thanks for your attention :)

ok ive hooked up a charged Battery and stuck a spark plug tester thing in my ht leads and theres no spark. ive checked my distributor arm and it looks ok. ive looked for any disconnected leads but i cant see any but im not sure really what im lookin for and where at this mom(if only haynes did a manual <_< ) and i checked outside to see if theres a sign sayin 'slaughtered lamb' cant see one. all i can hear when im tryin to turn it over is something that sound like a normal ignition attempt without the engine trying and some ticking from the fuse/relay box in the front of the car. anybody got any suggestions at all where to go from here? thanks :unsure:

ok ive hooked up a charged battery and stuck a spark plug tester thing in my ht leads and theres no spark. ive checked my distributor arm and it looks ok. ive looked for any disconnected leads but i cant see any but im not sure really what im lookin for and where at this mom(if only haynes did a manual  <_< ) and i checked outside to see if theres a sign sayin 'slaughtered lamb' cant see one. all i can hear when im tryin to turn it over is something that sound like a normal ignition attempt without the engine trying and some ticking from the fuse/relay box in the front of the car. anybody got any suggestions at all where to go from here? thanks  :unsure:

Suggest you go to the link below and follow the on vehicle inspection proceedure (3S-GTE).

Ignition System Inspection

Thanks for link Bobby :) im gonna have a readthru of that stuff and.... ima try and see if an error codes been stored. ive been told its got the wrong Battery on it for a start so ive got to try and find out exactly what Battery i need and i hope i can make some progress on resolving this problem without another large expenditure lol... i pushed the bank to get this baby ... if it wasnt this it mighta ended up a 1.1 litre newer car .... i made the right choice problem or not lol ... even with problem its a beautiful car :) thanks again for link

it is possible to check the dagnostics or ecu with a paper clip, easy to do if walked through...

Where in the country are you ??

ok update time :) i had to disconnect the Battery and charge it as it was totally flat. when i reconnected it after charging i tried to start it on the offchance and wishfully thinking it might, which it didnt :( . I got a paperclip as u suggested rhaines :) and :thumbsup: for tip i got a friend to tell me what happened after i briefed them. They stated the engine check light was blinking approx twice a second and from the link provided by bobby above it seems my ecu reckons nutting suspicious there ..... but the car still isnt starting.... summat defo is up. would this be likely? no error seein as the Battery been off even tho i tried and failed to start it after reconnect?. im hoping this is some stoopid bad connection or summat popped off summat else but... cant see anything at all that looks out of place but hey im learning with a lil help from u guys and that online manual ting :D Im in Wigan rhaines bless my lil cotton socks :) ummm theyre not cotton theyre polyester <_<

note to self 'BUY some cotton socks' lol

Tomorrow eve i gettin a friend to multitester any bits we can we can id and check acc the guide.... heres hopin i can feel all :ph34r: very soon cos my motor the mr2 is sposed to be replacing is really really awful :rolleyes:

ok quick update... never know if someone else might go thru this ... the job been taken out of my hands which is kinda nice cos its gone to toyota. They stuck their test kit on it and got the same result i did with a paperclip... all seems well. the guy there reckons its possibly the alarm which has cut fuel and or summat else. maybe fauty, maybe not ... hes removing it from the system tomoz to eliminate it from the equation... heres hopin i get the car back really really soon with all working sweetly. hope its soon.... other cars dieing a painful horrible death :rolleyes:

The other morning my 2 would not start, was turning over, but no spark !

I wobled all the HT leads and then, after another 30 sec's of turning over it sudenly fired and started ? Weird

Never done it before, or since (touch wood !!) :P

Hope you get yours sorted soon mate ! :thumbsup:

thanks boundsw :thumbsup: i always looked at mr2s and thought they were lovely cars, real things of beauty. having had the time ive had in mine I understand why you guys are so passionate about them, and it isnt just cos of looks. all my other cars have felt very toytown compared to the 2. man i cant wait to get her back .... and my lady thinks i love the car more than her .... cough...... cough cough

"no dear .... how can you suggest such a thing. HOW could I love a mere car more than YOU. cough cough. {eyes flitting rapidly to left, blinking a lot}' :D lol

heh .... heh heh heh ....... heh heh heh heh heh ..... hur hur hur ..... mwuhahahaha

:ph34r: got her back tonight..... toyota found it was the amplifier on the ignition. Replaced it and safety checked her. Aside from amp they found a couple of advisories and said the cars nice other than those :) Went out for a spin and was feeling good aside from a bit of what seems like misfiring .... gonna change the sparkies and ht leads for some far nicer ones cos theyre pretty naff .... sure we have spark plugs that are higher quality in the lawnmower...... new thread to post i guess cos im hoping for something above totally ordinary but not sure what to go for :) thanks guys for all the input and I hope this is the last of my serious motoring trouble :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links