Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting An Intercooler Under The Car....

ricomr2

Jim has been offered an intercooler for his car and wants to know about fitting it under the car to the rear of the engine.

I've seen a few with them fitted like this and it'll be good for cold air but are there any drawbacks like turbo lag etc?

Ta. :thumbsup:

lag would be the same as a front engine car with a front mount. how will it be mounted? if its literally under the car, there might be a few problems. like rocks, small animals, children, etc. haha. and with the toyota werodynamics, u might get heat fromt he radiator, motor, and exhaust. i say itll do more bad than good.

It would likely be mounted at an angle as far back as it can go. The car has a single exit buddy club racing exhaust on it and is nothing more than a pipe!

doubt it would get in the way or give off enough heat to affect the cooler.

Also it wouldn't sit any lower that the rear axle so hitting thing's wouldn't really be a problem either.

hmm. that would be interesting to see. i havent seen any ic setup like that. are there going to be any fans fitted on? what size will the piping be and is he still on a stock turbo?

Don't know about fans, would they be needed?

not sure about piping, still early stages, just getting an idea of whats involved and if it will be worth while.

And yes its still the standard ct26 turbo but the car is running around 280bhp with various other mods.

sounds well extreme but how about a f off masive one in the boot...with a big vent!? the vent probley would coss dragg, or one near the air filter? but once again thats loads of air goin round the pipes beofore the turbo...but then again once the air is bein circulated surely it should not cause a problem??

near the ground there will still be alot of cold air being blown under vehicle...if any lag was caused surely u could counter the problem?

just my thoughts on the idea?

or a custom engine lid with the ic above it, may affect the air flow but f it if the engine temp is still good??

well, i dont think they will be needed if its in direct airflow. tmic and smic use fans to help draw air through the fins. im not sure if it'll be too much for a stock turbo, i know some people running trunk mounts with ct20b, but they have plans to upgrade to a bigger turbo later on. it'd kinda be a waste if he plans on stayin with his little turbo. a proper sidemount is efficient enough.

yeah get a huge turbo the size of a small country put inside your car

sounds well extreme but how about a f off masive one in the boot...with a big vent!? the vent probley would coss dragg, or one near the air filter? but once again thats loads of air goin round the pipes beofore the turbo...but then again once the air is bein circulated surely it should not cause a problem??

near the ground there will still be alot of cold air being blown under vehicle...if any lag was caused surely u could counter the problem?

just my thoughts on the idea?

or a custom engine lid with the ic above it, may affect the air flow but f it if the engine temp is still good??

well, if a vent were to be used, it would have to draw air from the bottom of the car. thats how the 2s aerodynamics work. then have air exit a reverse scoop on top of the trunk or maybe mesh between the lights. near the ground is a little iffy. if you go to the track, the ambient air temp is probably 20 degrees hotter than the normal temp. putting it above will cause heatsoak by the sun and the hot air that exits through the vents.

In other words a TMIC......weather it's at the top of the trunk or the bottom it doesn't matter. It's all about flow and as long as you can get plenty of COOL air to it then that should be fine. IMO not worth it though, I doubt in your trim you would see much if any difference over a decent brand side mount. I have seen a few pics of them done at the bottom of the trunk.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links