Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question For The Turbo Owners

urotsukidoji_badassdemon

Hi fellow turbo owners out there. Got a few queries for the boffins in here.

1, I just recently got a turbo vehicle, and I was wondering, when my turbo decides to pack it bags, can I just get ANY turbo and bolt it on? Do ALL turbos have the same bolt holes/bolts in them? If they do have all the same, then does that answer my question already then?

2, How does one know if the turbo is about to go? Do the car just lose power just like that, rendering it undrivable?

3, What's the difference between a bleed valve and a boost controller? I have seen several ' boost controller's' on eBay, stating that they aren't bleed valves.

Fanx to those who can help.

1) nope, but theoretically you could have the manifolds made to fit them

2) smoking, loosing power, oil everywhere, a big bang

3) a bleed valve is a boost controller, just some are simple screw valves, others are famcy computer controlled valves, and all the ones that eBay state ARE NOT BLEED VALVES... they ARE bleed valves! the only other type is a grainger valve that uses a ball and spring

As Jaxx really said

1) turbos are designed for the car some are bigger some are smaller some create boost at higher rpms some create boost at lower rpms and so on ect ect

2) loss of power, blowing oil, and total failiure the main thing to go wrong with a turbo is the bearing and then it just ouses oil everywhere.

3) you have electronic boost controllers like the AVC type R and mechical boost controllers like the Grainger again as Jaxx said they just bleed off x amount of pressure to fool the wastegate (example: if your wastegate opens at 10psi and you want 12psi the boost controller will bleed off 2 psi pressure to the wastegate therefore the turbo has to boost to 12psi to open the waste gate at 10 psi.

HTH

For 1, so I HAVE to get the same turbo as I have that is ON the car then if it fails? The car I have is a Saab 9000 2.3t, with a Garret turbo on it, thing is tho, the turbo is miniscule (it's about 4/5'' diameter)compared to what I have seen in Celica turbos. EVen my niece Glanza's turbo is bigger than mine!! So I was thinking of getting a bigger turbo, when it goes. But if you say that I MUST get the same, then I guess I'll have to. Fanx to you then for replying.

I believe the Saabs use a low pressure turbo which would explain the size.

I would imagine there are plenty of them lying around scrap yards!

I believe the Saabs use a low pressure turbo which would explain the size.

I would imagine there are plenty of them lying around scrap yards!

AFAIK Saab use a low pressure and a high pressure turbo, Depending on model.

Gareths right. Plenty in the scrappies. And the LP usuall outlasts the HP one. :thumbsup:

yup SAABS only run 'low-blowers' dont think they dont do more than 6-7psi at the best of times

1. nope they aren't all the same, the bolt holes are in different places and there are strictly two types of turbomachine (turbocharger as they are known).

- radial, most small scale turbos are this variety, you get good pressure ratio in a compact space (short and fat)

- axial, most large scale turbos, such as those found in heavy transport, jet engines, ships etc. they give a much higher pressure ratio than radial but are generally long and thin.

2. the usual sympton is a loss of power or smoke.

3. answered above really.

with reference to the saab LP turbo business. The major disadvantage to this system is the mechnical complexity, the advantages are:

1. more power low down

2. reduced lag if none at all

3. better fuel consumption (more torque at Low RPM, therefore use of a higher gear)

also they have the most complex and bizzare recirc system ever!!

tried to make one at least make the woosh noise but no avail what-so-ever

the power delivery is mega smooth on them, no boost 'kick' like most turbos, but i think thats the idea

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links