Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Mr2tbar With Built In Amp

trigg

hi can anyone help me ? i have an L plate mr2 tbar and i wish to change the headunit, for an alpine cda-9855r and i dont seem to be able to get hold of an iso lead for it ! the standard plug is white an single , the one on my new headunit has two . does anyoone no where i could get one or am i gonna have to try hard wireing IT :help: any info would be a help

hi can anyone help me ? i have an L plate mr2 tbar and i wish to change the headunit, for an alpine cda-9855r and i dont seem to be able to get hold of an iso lead for it ! the standard plug is white an single , the one on my new headunit has two . does anyoone no where i could get one or am i gonna have to try hard wireing IT :help: any info would be a help

Welcome Trigg.

You can get the adapter you need from Halfords. You may need to get them to order it. They'll need to know whether you have active or passive system. The active system has extra amps to power a sub behind one, or both, of the front seats. I just popped car down to local Halfords and the guy there worked out which lead I needed.

If you do a search you'll find lots of other useful info on changing head unit. Like the fact that on some cars the arial lead acts as the earth.

Suggest you search just in MR2 section - search system only allows search terms that are more than 3 characters - so you can't just search whole system for MR2 plus other term e.g. HEADUNIT

Tony

Welcome Trigg.

You can get the adapter you need from Halfords. You may need to get them to order it. They'll need to know whether you have active or passive system. The active system has extra amps to power a sub behind one, or both, of the front seats. I just popped car down to local Halfords and the guy there worked out which lead I needed.

If you do a search you'll find lots of other useful info on changing head unit. Like the fact that on some cars the arial lead acts as the earth.

Suggest you search just in MR2 section - search system only allows search terms that are more than 3 characters - so you can't just search whole system for MR2 plus other term e.g. HEADUNIT

Tony

thank you mate you have been a messive help :D i'll give them a try ,i went to five shops an had no joy. hopfully Halfords will be able to sort me out once again thank's for the info

Welcome Trigg.

Tony

You promised me piccies of yours Tony :( I still have not got.. and I'll be needing to rewire Skye in nearish future :P

You promised me piccies of yours Tony :( I still have not got.. and I'll be needing to rewire Skye in nearish future :P

Oops, forgot about that. Sorry.

Have found the pics, though they're not that good I'm afraid. This is the connector that goes into the back of the standard audio unit:-

MR2-Audio-Connector.jpg

You can figure out some, but not all, the pin outs from that. I can easily take apart the car and get you the rest of the pin outs if you need them. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

This is the connector I bought; active system one. The lead in above pic plugs into the foam covered connector in this pic. The other end is then the ISO plug plus the other leads incl. four phono leads to connect to the pre-outs on the rear of the new head unit.

MR2-Autoleads.jpg

This is part number PC9-411 (Smartlead Toyota 15 way - RCA Active System Adapter)

There's more info on Autoleads here.

BTW - I've put my standard head unit back in for now. Although the lead above worked fine, but I had a problem with the electric arial staying up all the time and a thunk from the Speakers when the ignition was switched on. I don't think that's caused by the autolead. The head unit I was fitting had previously been installed in my Celica Gen 7 and the people who fitted it to that bodged the wiring slightly on the head unit's harness in order to power a DAB antenna amplifier and I think that's what is causing this problem. I'm buying a new head unit when I have the cash, so I'm hoping it will be fine with that.

scrap the std amps they are rubbish theyre only about 17watts while your new shiney alpine will be at least 45watts!

just do a direct connection as another problem will arise when a- the headunit amps the signal, and b- the the small amps try to do it again

Mm, might do that Jaxx. The average head unit will produce more than that without an amp. I can tell the amps are struggling a bit - especially at motorway speeds when the top is off. Not sure I can face all the re-wiring right now though.

The problem you describe about the head unit and amps both doing amplification shouldn't arise with the connector above though; should it? The connector links to the pre-outs of the head unit, not the speaker outputs.

Tony

yes tony you are right, i think theres an active and a passive system???

the active one wont be too bad as it uses the normal amps in the proper way, its the non active system that there will be problems... noticed it on my mates car

but even though, if youve got a decent h/u your much better off just getting rid of the OE amps, youll have much better, crisper and louder sound

T600, you dont happen to have a pic of the ISO converter plug without the foam on do you??

or even if you could list what each wire on the toyota loom does (goes) and what connects to what on the new adapter?

im gusseing some wires on the cars loom dont get used on the adapter? and some are bodged, i would think that the pink AMP wire has been crossed onto the ACC pin to make the amps fire up with the ignition, or bridged to the Remote pin (blue/white wire)

it would help everybody including me that intends to fit an aftermarket head unit.

I would also be grate full if you could let us know what the two GND pins are connected to? i would have thought that one is for the rear Speakers and one for the front, but that doesnt leave a ground for the head unit, a little confusing me thinks

cheers

vince

Difficult to do that Vince. As well as the cable tie, the foam is glued on. And under that there are heat shrink protectors that I'd also have to remove.

Obviously the 5 wires into the ISO A connector are the standard ones you would expect. Not sure what bridging is going on but I'll try to figure it out.

And did you get my PM re these issues?

In search of more info on this found really good article on electric aerial here. Might be useful to you.

Also read that the adapter I have (PC9-411) only applies to 94 on Active systems. Part numbers for Active up to Jan 04 is PC9-406 and Passive PC2-17-4 apparently.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links