Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cylinder Head

Jinxed

bless me .... my dad >< he's real oldschool type, good guy till his back gets weed up. and i think i weed up it a few times when i was lil lol. everybody needs a lil help sometimes :) jus wish he wouldnt get angry and shout so much at little

bless me .... my dad >< he's real oldschool type, good guy till his back gets weed up. and i think i weed up it a few times when i was lil lol. everybody needs a lil help sometimes :) jus wish he wouldnt get angry and shout so much at little

Just a thought but I'm surprised that a UK Toyota garage can get their hands on a new Tubby engine and in such a short amount of time (considering tubbys were'nt sold in the UK).

When they said they would but a new engine in did they confirm that they would replace the engine with another Turbo engine? I know it seems like you should asume they would but as they say, assumption is the mother of all f**kups and I'm sure you'd be pretty ****** off if they put an NA engine in there because thats all they could get hold of. If i were you, I'd make absolutely sure of what they are going to do for you £4k (including what engine they are putting in).

Well Jinxed, looks like i'm basicly in the same boat as you!!

My mechanic noticed blue smoke and said he couldn't tell where the problem is without taking the engine apart. He didn't even bother to try to work out why she was overheating (only does it after cruising on the M-way when I get off it and go into slow traffic).

Cheapest quote for an engine so far is off Fensport, which was £816.63 inc VAT. I'm waiting to hear back from Jon at http://www.jbmotorsport.co.uk/ as he's quite competative with prices apparently.

I just don't know what to do. Do I swap engines (loan required to do this) or get someone else to sort the current one out??

I'm going to get a second opinion first of all tho.

Does anyone know any work shops in the Herts, Beds and Cambs area that know a bit about MR2's????

:( so sorry mate

was thinkin about how much chance ive had to get to love mine and .... how much time you musta had .... prayed you werent gonna be havin a dose of the same. silver linings> when shes better Shell be better :) tho ive been assured theyre putting exactly the same engine new in ...they apparently put the details of the car in a comp and it told them what engine etc i think im gonna ring them and get them to tell me exactly what theyre putting in as i know my dad makes a fair few assumptions and your absolutely right ...id hafta gut him if the car came back and i had a na(not that theres anything wrong with them but). oh and id have to gut them too lol. thats a nice quote cf the 4k mines costin. post what happens mate .... and i hope you get a loan sorted ... id lend u the 214 if u was jus down the road .... dont thank me for that lol

as for the dilemma swap or sort, all pros and cons with no clear end to it for me.... my decision was based purely on knowing i want the car for ....ever. so to me it made sense to remove all the possible problems with the engine in one fell swoop. beyond this and hopefully not necessary for at least 12 months im going to get the gearbox renewed. the guy/s who owned this car before me did not take care of her, rest of engine was/is probably ragged, i hope their lack of care for their babes visits them with severe consequences like ive had.

hope it isnt something terminal and you get a good job for a lot less than 4k...

peace bro :yes: keep postin whats goin on :)

I've just got that second opinion. The guy said it's most likely just the thermostat. Just ordered one for a wopping £12. £12 or £1,000, I'll take the £12 option any day. Won't get it till monday, so i'll take the old one out later on today. This might sort all my probs out in one go. Would be a miracle but you never know!! At least i've got a little smile on my face compared to yesterday when I looked like someone I knew had died. Will keep ya posted.

heh £12 would be great and i have a lot of body parts crossed for you. from what ive read, and i dont know very much about cars, thermostats can cause all kinds of apparently serious lookin stuff.... the bad misfire which turned into a smallish misfire was down to ecu not controllin stuff properly as it didnt know the water wasnt right temp in part of engine cos of stuck thermostat. hope ur probs are fixed with new thermostat bud :) im hopin we get to do the YAY THE CAR IS AWESOME AGAIN feeling really soon cos yup, feelin like somebody died is pretty darn awful :yes:

Got the stat fitted now, and so far there's been no overheating. :thumbsup:

Hasn't sorted out the smoking on startup tho. Didn't think it would tho. I spoke to a Turbo recon place yesterday and explained the symptoms. Their thoughts were that it's most likely a top end engine prob (eg Valve Stem Seals). They expand when the engine is warm, so that's maybe why I don't get smoke when the car is warm. When you stop and the car cools off they contract and then oil can seep through. Then when you start it up in the morning, the oil gets burnt away. I'll have to keep a good old eye on my oil level. May even drain it a put semi-synthetic oil in instead of fully synthetic.

P.S for your new engine, if it's not too late that is, try these guys:

http://www.reconditioned-engines.co.uk/index.shtml

They quoted me £1,195 to supply and fit a completely rebuilt engine with all new filters and belts and oil. 5 years / 60,000 miles warranty too!!! They also quoted me £50 for collection and delivery of the car.

Bargain!!

heh glad ur overheat isnt happening anymore.... overheating imo is worst thing... u either watch ur temp gauge not the road n risk accident or u dont watch it n find out later it happened an you carried on driving :help:

Though it is too late for em to take advantage of that deal you found ...wow sounds good cf money ima lookin at now... and 5 years 60000 warranty ... nice Mr T only giving parts and labour warranty 12 months. Highway robbery lol

in addition theyve also found my turbo lookin pretty worn so... after checking... its getting a brand new same spec engine with whats probably going to be a new turbo... nearly everythings going to be new under the hood now engine wise.... i cant wait to get my mittts on her again... hopefully 'end of this week' or middle of next week theyve said... think that means a fortnight lol <_< post more when i know :)

Shame it's too late to go elsewhere. Sure it'll be a gooden tho. :thumbsup: Probably nearer a fortnight before you get it back, you know what mechanics are like. They mean it when they say it, but usually doesn't work out the way they hoped. It'll be worth the wait tho!! ;)

The smoke from mine has stopped now! :yes::yes::yes::lol::lol::yes::yes::yes:

I'm overjoyed! I thought she was on the brink off :crybaby: death :crybaby:, she was on life support for a few days and I felt sick as a dog, but all seems good now. Turbo boost has returned to normal thank god as well!

Great stuff :yes: glad your probs are gone mate. Im absolutely itching to get mine back... tho having said that im getting paranoid about my close call with the police couple of weeks ago ... hope they didnt think right :censor: you got away with that so were going to collect evidence on you and bang you to rights ... anyone using the east lancs road needs to be extra careful for a while.... theyre really really clamping down on it up St Helens way ... seen 3 laser traps on it in the last 2 weeks and theyve got a boy racer kitted black bmw with nice alloys, tinted windows and really sweet 'light kit' lol (ummm hope im not doing anything naughty telling you guys this :rolleyes: if i am please tell and ill remove it ) quite probably other undercover 5 O too on there if i saw one of those led red n blue kits blinking at me and driving right up my behind my first thought might well be mmhmm you want a race lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links