Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev2 Air Flow Meter

Markturbo

just wondering i have a rev 2 tubby and they have that air flow meter on them am i right in thinking it restricts power in some way is there any mods which can be done to remove it if it frees up power

also i have bought a turbo xs bov will it run on my car with out it stalling the car

plus i might need some sort of fitting kit for the dumpvalve to get it on my car is there anywhere what do these

The AFM is indeed a restriction, especially compared to the MAF setup of the Type III. You can EITHER get a full aftermarket ecu OR get a MAP-ECU. Otherwise you are stuck with it.

The bov will run on your car.......it MAY cause stalling & or rough running BUT probably not, try it and see....it won't blow anything, just rough running & fueling etc. Yep TurboXS do a fitting kit, Im selling my H-RFL with MR2 adaptor....you should have brought mine!!

Cheers

KiwiMR2

do you know how much power roughly it would free up

also whats a good ecu to get do you know

Standard REV 1 & 2 (with AFM) are about 200-220bhp. The REV 3 (MAP sensor) is 245-260bhp.

Up your boost to 16-17psi from the standard 11-13 psi with a manual boost controller. Each PSI increase is about a 10bhp increase. Plus wack on an air filter and fuel cut defencer (FCD is needed to increase boost otherwise the ecu cuts the fuel above 13 psi). Then bobs your uncle you'll be pumping out near to 250-260bhp, plus you can always raise or lower the boost with a manual boost controller.

the AFM is only a restriction at high BHP (over 300).

The main limits are the turbo and IC ..

I have a rev2 '93 N/A and I'm sure mine doesn't have an AFM, what does it look like?

Think this question is more a "turbo thing" ;)

i already have a downpipe boost upgrade to a bar with exhaust and filter

im looking for more power whats a good intercooler you can can get not bothered bout makes and names just want a good value for money but most of all perfomance

what the highest safe bhp you can run on stock internals

With reference to your Turbo XS BOV Mark, I recently fitted my Type H-RFL, it comes with a set of packer washer's which are needed to adjust the tension on the BOV spring, I think I used 3 in the end, but you will figure it out as you go along, once the car is hot dip the throttle let go and if she stalls get another washer in, its that easy............what isnt easy though is trying to explain to the Mrs why you need such a device, especially as the hate mail from the local residents society continue to pile up on you door mat.......its loud , its very loud , it really is F*%$*ng LOUD !! :yes:

P.S, the BOV will get MEGA hot even after only a few mins , so be carefull if you need to touch it.

thanks for that information hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and i will get it on at the weekend it sounds as loud as everyone said it is

i might need a fitting kit as i bought brand new from eBay but it wasn't for the mr2 but seller said it should go on if not he thinks he can get me a fitting kit

did yours go straight on

do you know how much power roughly it would free up

Here is the MAP-ECU replacement power figures.

1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Gen II)

Modifications:T04 compressor wheel, 3" custom downpipe, bored throttle body, MR2 Type III airbox lid (no Air Flow Meter).

Red line: Stock Air Flow Meter (stock 10 psi boost)

Blue line: MAP-ECU (stock 10 psi boost)

mr2.jpg

also whats a good ecu to get do you know

For a Gen I & II I've seen the Unichip get some good safe numbers :) Jim has one on his Gen I, after most of the mods was putting out about 265 RWHP I think.

im looking for more power whats a good intercooler you can can get not bothered bout makes and names just want a good value for money but most of all perfomance

Just get the measurements of either a Greddy or Spearco unit and get a competnet Intercooler/Radiator place to fabricate one up for you ;) I JUST about 2 weeks ago fitted a Greddy one.......seems to have reduced the lag between gear changes & obviusly I can boost hard even when it is warm out but to be honest I didn't notice any feel of extra HP.

what the highest safe bhp you can run on stock internals

If your motor is healthy you could probably go up to 350 odd before looking at it, there are plenty more things you would need to do to get to that figure though.

i might need a fitting kit as i bought brand new from ebay but it wasn't for the mr2 but seller said it should go on if not he thinks he can get me a fitting kit

did yours go straight on

If you want it to go in the OEM location the you WILL need the fitting kit, TurboXS make them for our car.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I used a fitting kit so I could fit the BOV in the oem location, and took about 5 mins to fit :thumbsup:

I think POTN sell the fitting kits, just make sure that when you order that they actually have them in stock themselves, otherwise you will probably wait 6 months only to be told the company that they are going through to order the part have'nt come up with the goods........it only took me 9 months to get mine :ffs:

...eventually I ordered the valve and fitting kit from a supplier in the states, the pair together cost less than the valve alone in this country and that includes shipping, and it only took 3 days to arrive.......superb stuff :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links