Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Wheel

Mackers

I've just had my tracking and camber re-done, but my steering wheel isn't "straight" anymore, am i able to take it off and re-align it on the "splines" on the steering column, i know certain cars the AIRBAGS will "go-off" and i don't want that, what the safest way to remove the wheel.

Mate you shouldnt need to remove the steering wheel. A proper geometry expert like Tony Bones from STS Watford would be able to put that straight for you.

I've had all my cars done by him inc the Avensis (steering was out to).

I know you are mate, but you'd be surprised how far people travel to get their cars done by him.

Give him a ring, he'll be more than happy to advise you what you need to do. He may even go as far as recommending you to a garage near you that is in his "trusted" list.

more info:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/anthoney.bones/

i had the take the steering whel off my golf when i had it done too, that was "dead-easy" as it never had an airbag, but if it's a quick job, i'd rather do it myself, than pay for it all over again.

Have a look at the posting on 15th september with same problem.

If you do decide to move steering wheel, I changed one on an MGF and was advised to disconnect Battery and leave to stand for 2 hours before removing. It worked but I did wear a face mask just incase!! Goodluck

cheers steve, i got a mate with a starlet, turbo, he resons that some steering wheels won't go back on, because you have a "snap" somthing to get the weel off :S

When a steering alingment is done, the wheel should be set in the dead ahead postion before they do it.

You shouldn't have to take the steering wheel off, thats rubbish. All they've gotta do is toe one wheel out and the other in a little more to account for the steering wheel being out of place, keeping the alignment correct still.

If they couldn't be ubikd to do that, then i'd be inclined to take it elsewhere.

Don't forget that the car will be inclined to have a little right hand correction needed due to the camber in the road on normal roads. So your steering may not appear dead straight, when actually it is.

I've just had my tracking and camber re-done, but my steering wheel isn't "straight" anymore, am i able to take it off and re-align it on the "splines" on the steering column, i know certain cars the AIRBAGS will "go-off" and i don't want that, what the safest way to remove the wheel.

'Please' dont take the steering wheel off!...... The test you have had done i assume was a geometry? if so did you get a print out we can see?

The reason the wheel is off-line is for one of two reasons.

1:- The steering rack is off-line relative to the rear thrust angle ( poor workmanship )

2:- The Camber on one of the wheels is still wrong, so there is a disparity between the conical forces ( poor workmanship )

Take the car back!

i intend to take the car back, end of the day (as you've all posted above), the job ain't good plus it cost me £45 so i don't wanna pay that agin, if it's there fault (if you know what i mean).

i intend to take the car back, end of the day (as you've all posted above), the job ain't good plus it cost me £45 so i don't wanna pay that agin, if it's there fault (if you know what i mean).

Yes i do!..... any problems have them phone me and i will tell them how to correct it :wacko:

You have a PM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links