Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Importing A Car

DazH

Been looking at a couple of sites in Japan that will export over here and it looks like they do all the work for you ;)

I know a few peeps on here have imported motors themselves so thought this would be the best place to have my questions answered, I'd just like to know what hidden costs there may be and what I should look out for in particular. I think I'm right saying any car over 10 years old doesn't need an SVA? but I could be wrong. You know the type of info I mean?

:help::help::help:

The best I could recommend is to use an importer.

When I bought the Sera it was shipped over, registered, ( the paperwork alone is a bit of a mare ) AND I had the chance to view it, test drive it, then decide if I wanted to buy it. Just buying from a picture on a website is risky at the best of times.

Ask for a copy of the Auction sheet if you're interested in a specific car. It'll be in Japanese, but it's interpretable if you know what all the numbers mean. I've got a file that explains how the sheets are filled and what each code represents - let me know if you want a copy.

Not sure about the SVA, whether it's 10 years or anything after a specific date.

"The SVA test is not required on cars 10 years and older, so cars from 1995 to 2004 will require SVA test, and cars from 1994 and below will not. Compliance is the process in which an imported car undergoes slight modification to meet the UK Design Rules and pass and SVA test.

This usually involves a fog light being installed, speedometer changing into miles per hour and fuel filter changing. All imported cars under the current scheme must undergo these certain changes to pass the ESVA or SVA test. These modifications can be done by any good garage in your area and SVA tests cost fro"m 150 pounds."

Daz, what you looking for then mate? B)

Was looking to buy a complete car for my engine conversion and sell off the surplus bits, but saw a couple of cars that took my fancy so I might get myself another to run around in while the work gets done on the Seo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Jesus, and Rich that copy you have would be great mate :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links