Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior And Exterior Lighting

MR2vince

Now im not quite sure which part of the forum this goes in, so if ya need to move it do so.

My car has come back today from the MOT, and its failed (i knew it would). brakes, cills ect.

But it also failed on lighting, now im really confused by this. The car failed on the side repeaters?? on my car the lenses are blue but when they are lit the light given off is actully amber, i was told its ilegal to show blue lights, i questioned the fact that the repeaters are E marked, and give of amber light. he still failed them.

I was also told that the dash lights in my car, which light up blue, (they were in the car when i bought it) are also ilegal.

However the LED washer lights and underbody lighting wasnt a problem?? :wacko:

I know that the washer lights and underbody kits are for off road use only, and are on a switch to disable them.

the dash dials are E glow dials and the colour can not be changed without fitting new dials.

in the car there is also blue footwell lights, which come on with the side lights, again was in the car when bought.

So can anybody shine a light (no pun intended) on what is classed as ilegal and what isnt. :wacko::unsure:

vin

I don't know the rules, but motuk.co.uk seems to have a searchable 'Testers Manual' dated August 2004.

Had a quick scan and didn't see the answers to your questions, but you might find it useful. For example it specifically says the indicators must emit amber light, and I can't see anything there that says the lens must be amber.

Can't see any reference to interior lighting, warning lights etc.

Perhaps these are new requirements?

They also have info on how to appeal an MOT failure, as does the VOSA site

indicators must emit amber light, and I can't see anything there that says the lens must be amber

this is what confuses me, as most new cars have clear repeaters with amber lights, so whats the difference in having a blue repeater giving of amber light??

And your right it doesnt mention interior lighting?

Ive emailed them to see what they say.

does anybody else no anything, or had problems with MOT's

Vin

just found this

LIGHTING

Q. Is it legal to fit neon strip lights under car, down the sides and at the front and back?

A: Neon strip lights can be fitted provided they comply with the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989, i.e. they should have white to the front, white or amber to the sides, and red to the rear. They would have to be independently switched and fitted so as not to cause any undue dazzle or discomfort to other road users.

Q: Can I fit neon lights to inside of car?

A: Answer virtually the same as above if the lights can be seen from the outside of the vehicle. If they are any other colour they must not be visible from the outside and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort to road users. If due to their position or intensity they effect the drivers ability to drive safely then there is the possiblility of an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 sec 40a. This refers to causing danger to road users.

Q: My side lamps are blue, will they fail an MOT?

A: When tested there must be two front and two rear position lamps one of each on each side. Each pair must be mounted symmetrically, at about the same height and the same distance in from the side of the vehicle.

They must show white light to the front and red to the rear, no other colours are acceptable.

Any additional lamps are optional and are not included in the MOT Test.

Q: My headlamps have “Rainbow” bulbs fitted, will they pass an MOT?

A: If a headlight is intended to be one of a matched pair it must emit light of substantially the same colour as its counterpart and must emit substantially white or yellow light.

Q: I have fitted extra stop lamps to my car, how will this affect the MOT?

A: A vehicle first used on or after 1st January 1971 must be fitted with at least two obligatory stop lamps, one on either side of the vehicle, at about the same height and about the same distance in from the side of the vehicle.

They must emit a steady red light.

If additional lamps, regardless of how many, are fitted which operate when the brake is applied, then they will be tested too.

Q: My indicator lamps are part of the stop lamps and show red light, will my car fail its MOT?

A: A vehicle first used before 1st September 1965 may have indicators incorporated with stop lamps or combined with side or rear lamps. In these cases both the front indicators may be white and both rear indicators red, on or after that date all indicators must emit amber light.

Q: Are blue LED windscreen washer jets legal?

A. LED washer jets would be permissable if they were white in colour. They should be independently switched from the vehicles main lighting circuits.

vin

oh dear lol Mr T is fitting my undercar lightkit as a freebie ..... looks like ima fail my next MOT and be getting busted sometime for roaduse :yes:

On the potentially plus side... ill remove the tubes for MOT and if i get caught ill play the odds with a 'im sorry officer i must have caught the switch when i got in and due to the low ride hieght didnt notice... thanks for bringing it to my attention and ill switch them off immediately with a view to moving the switch to a place i wont catch it :unsure: ' heh might work a couple of times lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links