Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt

CraigT

I recently had my car MOT'ed (it passed phew!) and the guy at the garage really liked my car. Commented on the good condition of it etc.

He mentioned the timing belt and asked itf I had ever had it changed, which I havent.

He mentioned that it was a pretty big and expensive job and it got me to thinking if I should be considering getting it done.

Anyone got any advice on this coz to be honest I know nothing about it other than if the timing belt goes you could be in a world of pain :eek:

Craig,

There's quite a few threads on this subject. E.g. this one.

For more search in MR2 under Cambelt or Timing belt. You can also find useful advice under Celica as the 3S-GE and 3S-GTE engines were of course used in that car. (though aspects of fitting are different due to different location of the engines).

Tony

had mine done recently by mr T when they already had engine out.... they just did it and explained that it was just sensible to do it while they did other bit.... they said 630 quid for it but as they did it while rest already out it was basically jus another 30 ....gl man :thumbsup:

had mine done recently by mr T when they already had engine out.... they just did it and explained that it was just sensible to do it while they did other bit.... they said 630 quid for it but as they did it while rest already out it was basically jus another 30 ....gl man  :thumbsup:

£630 - they are having a laugh. Last time mine was done it was at Mr T in Nottingham and was £193 including VAT (though that was 6 years ago).

They're right to fit one while they're doing the work on your head - they have the belt off anyway so it's just a case of putting a new one one rather than putting the old one back. Are they putting new tensioners and pulleys on too? Most people seem to recommend that.

Gotta get mine done soon, been quoted £170 by a local garage.

Is it possible that the belt can cause engine damage by leaving it ages until changing it or just if the belt actually breaks? I know the engine is supposedly non-interference but wouldn't trust that fact too much.

I don't think it will do any damage at all unless it snaps.

Yes, engine is supposed to be non-interference, but apparently if it goes under load or high revs then then destructive contact is possible. :(

yup 630 quid no joke. That at mr T near me. dunno whether its anything to do with the specific model of car i got its a mk2 rev3 turbo. who knows what the diabolical mind of Mr T uses to decide prices... i was just happy they do anything on my car.... dont know of any trustworthy garages near me and i believe a lot of dealership[s wont touch mr 2 turbos cos theyre a pain in the ***** to work on. Anyhow i do wish you good fortune in getting ur 2 in great health as i hope we all have that fortune :)

Hmmm the prices seem to vary WILDLY from place to place, but just out of curiosity, Im gonna phone Toyota today and ask them how much.

Might be a good laugh :)

heres hoping im not paying for holidays for them >< cant afford holiday for myself now for next 10 years :crybaby: i would be interested to see what you get quoted.... but havin said that it did only cost me extra 30 quid all said n done so least its new for when i get it back after jobs currently bein done... i shudda been a motor mech .... i chose poorly :lol:

my local garage (which can do just about anything!)... will be changing my timing belt for £90.

Bargain!! You have to suply the belt and I would advise a new tensioner also... but you can't beat that price! They've done it in the past on other mr2s, so they know what they're doing also.

Thats a goo dprice for a tubby Jim !

I just rang MrT.

I am in Northampton, and they quoted £387.95 inc parts and labour and VAT....NOT cheap hey !

yeah I know... they're a good bunch of chaps. Have just about done everything on my car since I moved back to the borders.

:( Thats got me thinking now I'm wondering if mine has been changed before. I've got some service history and on the papers by the diagrams they have ticked the timing belt. But it's all in Japanese so i really dont know if they have ticked it and said that it's ok or has it been replaced?

The last service over in Japan it had done 20,687 miles

Now it has got 27,500 miles serviced last month

On the cover it say's 100,000 km which is 62,500 miles

I think i might have to have it done soon as you have got to look into the age of the car as well.

jerry!!

Just did mine at 120,000 km's.....I'd reccomend also doing the water pump, idlers, tensioners, and thermostat while your in there ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

:eek: £630 :thumbsup: righto, i could do them all day for that money :D

Anyone who knows what they are doing and will do a good job, will charge between £200 and £350 depending if parts are supplied or not.

The problem round the corner garages is that they probably havnt done a change on a mr2 before and dont realise what a pig it is, toyota quote 3.5 hours, we have been doing them every week for a year now and it still takes over 6 hours if not rushed and done with care.

This is a job only done every 5 years or 60 k and its essential its done well.

£630 :lol:

James

I do all my work on my two myself

But hear stories of an engine out job for the cam belt.

I have done cam belts before, but dont really wanna get my engine out !

Is it possible with the engine in !?

Since the engine mount has to come out its no bother to just jack up that side of the engine a little simple to get the large metal engine mount bracket out, you will then have to drop it a tadge to get the large pulley off :thumbsup:

have fun fella :P watch out fro your nuckels on the cam gears :D

maybe its a 'duty of care' thing that MrT has to its mechies .... must cost a lot to train a mech well. guess if they damage their hands doing a job it screws up whole lotta jobs on many other cars so they dont take chances and just whip the entire engine out to avoid any potential tight space + hand + blunt force trauma = omg equation .... dunno :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links