Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Checked Out A Turbo 2nite

dawolf

Went to see a red rev2 MR2 turbo nearby tonight. It seemed to be in very good nick with some nice subtle mods, bodywork was in good shape and straight. Only done 52k miles according to clock. Up for sale for only £3950.

There were a couple of things that concerned me, firstly the engine stuttered very badly above 3000rpm causing the car to feel jerky and not hold it's boost properly. This is accompanied by the orange engine light staying on. The owner said there was a leak somewhere allowing water into the engine coz it's only done this since he cleaned the engine bay last week. He said he's replaced all the hoses and plugs but it's still occuring. He is convinced it is just electrical but I'm not so sure. The other thing I noticed were the rear lights only had one light lit up one each side as opposed to two. Strange.

What are people's thoughts on this? Best to avoid?

Sounds like it could be the distributer Cap and Rotor arm that needs replacing, very common in MR2's especially Turbos.

The light being on the dash could be a number of problems. I personally would walk away :-)

If it's a simple fix, he'd have done it... well... you'd have thought so anyway...

walk away mate there plenty around no point getting one that will have problems straight away rust me i know!

Yeah I know. He said he'd get the problem diagnosed and get back to me. Probably not gonna buy one til after xmas anyway as I need time to sell mine.

dont walk away RUN damnit :) i too know the cost of buying lemons instead of peaches :rolleyes:

on a heartier note ... i wish you all the best finding a peach :) :thumbsup:

Firstly that's a pretty steep price for a Rev 2. I paid £2450 with 60k on the clock. Fair enough, the stat played up as soon as I'd bought it and then the turbo went. But so far I've only spent an extra £232 on it. Should be getting her back either this evening or 2moro. I wouldn't go over £3k for a Rev 2 mate! :thumbsup: Plus, as everyone else says, walk away from this one. There's plenty more fish in the sea!

sewelly no gag at ur car :) certain shades of yellow make me go weak kneed and urs is one of those shades.... i was sayin mine was a lemon when it was bought .... spent LOTTO money to be gettin her spankers for another 10 yrs and i havent even had a week of peaceful happy motoring out of her yet... tho i do know shes got it on her :yes: and ill hopefully be getting it out of her oooo maybe a lil later tonight... or tomoz...... or the day after.... ah damn i dunno when :lol: better be soon tho... the waits doin my skull in lol

and Toymota great stuff ur gonna be gettin urs sorted short order :) this waitin for 2 business is so excrutiating :yes:

there's a really tasty black one for sale on mr2oc at the mo for 2.5k with some nice mods.

i would steer clear of this one.

Spoke to the owner again tonight, he said the problem has been diagnosed and it's just the knock sensor which needs replacing. I'm going to check it out next week when it's been done and see what it's like to drive. I know about checking for mayo in the oil cap and smoke out the back. It has a stage 4 boost and is apparently running at 300bhp, how can I tell whether it's up to it's optimum performance? Anything in particular I need to check?

It's a red rev 2 '93 with 52k miles, they're asking for £3800. Does that seem reasonable?

is apparently running at 300bhp, how can I tell whether it's up to it's optimum performance? Anything in particular I need to check?

if it's a rev2 and got 300bhp, look for items such as decat/downpipes, exhausts, aftermarket I/C's, inductions kits, aftermarket ECU or piggyback, some form of boost controller manual or electronic and possibly a ct20b ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links